Pool drain and refill questions

laff66

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2007
Plano, TX
I just drained all but about 3 or 4 feet of the deep end to polish the horrible stonescapes finish we had put on (bad application, not product) and have a few water questions. I've never drained and started with new water before and am wondering if theres a way to guess at the stabilizer I'll need. I'm guessing I'll be adding about 25000G of new water which will be at zero. I've found a few calculators, but I'm not sure I"m using them right. Also, is liquid stabilizer worth the extra cost for this scenario if I want to get the water set up quickly?
When our pool was remodeled, they came and dumped in the quart-sized bottles of Jack's Blue Stuff and they said they swear by it for a startup. I wasn't paying for it seperately, so there was no incentive to sell me on it. Anybody have good/bad experience with that stuff?
I know I need to post test results, which I'll do, but I'm out of everything but pH and chlorine tests. I'll get those and try to get some numbers.

laff66 said:
I've never drained and started with new water before and am wondering if theres a way to guess at the stabilizer I'll need. I'm guessing I'll be adding about 25000G of new water which will be at zero. I've found a few calculators, but I'm not sure I"m using them right.
The Pool Calculator says for 25K to go from CYA 0 to 30, you need 6+ pounds. I'm guessing what's left in the pool has some CYA in it so really you only need to figure it on what you'll be refilling.
laff66 said:
Also, is liquid stabilizer worth the extra cost for this scenario if I want to get the water set up quickly?
No, the granules typically are gone in a day or two. Good enough.

I have no experience with Jack's Stuff, but somebody else will.
--paulr

Jack's is good stuff. Do you have a reason to suspect metals are present in your water?

You can have your tap water tested for metals before you refill. Confirm before you spend the money.

I second the vote for not needing liquid stabilizer. Granular is good enough.

Okay, thanks for the QUICK replies. I have no idea about metals, in fact I didn't even know thats what that stuff was for - maybe I should have done a little reading. I filled the spa this evening, and more of the deep end, thinking new tap water would look great, but ewww.. It looks kind of yellowish??? I'll be treating with some bleach until I can get some cracks dealt with prior to refilling all the way.

In some cases the iron will filter out, there was somebody not long ago who had that happen but as I recall it took the better part of a week. If the spa filter is getting gunked up with yellow/brown then some or all of the color will eventually clear; just keep cleaning the filter, multiple times a day if you have to.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.