Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Thanks and calcium ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Thanks and calcium ?

Thanks for all the info on this site. I have taken care of my pool on my own for a few years with only some issues. The more I read here the better my pool looks. I have a plaster pool, SWG, cartridge filter, 22,000 gallons.

My question to start is, I don't see on any other site about keeping calcium levels between 350 and 450 for a SWG pool. I have a few, white, very hard protruding deposits on the side of my pool. I am guessing the calcium levels of 250 my be causing this so I am raising it to 350 now. Hope I am doing the right thing!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Thanks and calcium ?

No. Leave your CH alone. A pic would help but you are probably seeing calcium nodules. Calcium Nodules in pools

Your CH is fine and will rise on it's own anyway so don't mess with it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

What those things are is explained very well here: Calcium Nodules in pools
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Oops, already messed with it due the levels recommended in the ABC's of pool chemistry where it list calcium levels for a SWG pool as 350 - 450. So I am a little confused. I am up to 350 this am. Soooooo, do I leave it alone at 350 or go to the trouble of trying to lower it back down.

The second picture is exactly what mine looks like, thanks for that.

5. Back To Top    #5

Leave it where it is. As water evaporates, the CH stays behind and builds. It'll just continue to climb as the summer goes on.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Leave it alone. Where in pool school did you find minimum CH as 350 ppm?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

CH of 350-450 is recommended for SWG and plaster here, Pool School - Recommended Levels and here, Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    CH of 350-450 is recommended for SWG and plaster here, Pool School - Recommended Levels and here, Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
    So pool school says 350-450, but some here say don't go that high. I am now conflicted with what my calcium levels should be?

9. Back To Top    #9

The reason folks are hesitant to recommend increasing CH in a pool is because some areas, especially the southwest, have high CH in their tap water. And since calcium stays in the pool while the water evaporates the CH is constantly increasing over time.

So, for your pool the question would be what is the CH of your fill water? If you have soft water you will want to increase CH and if you have hard water you might not want to. It isn't a huge deal either way really. It is fairly easy to manage a pool with a very wide range of CH. We have folks who manage pools with CH above 1000.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok, I will test my fill water so I will know where I stand with that. Thanks for your help.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Kgm View Post
    Ok, I will test my fill water so I will know where I stand with that. Thanks for your help.
    Checked my fill water, it is 30.

12. Back To Top    #12

Wow, that is really low. Raising you CH was the right answer in your case.
    TFP Moderator