Bleach Weights/Strengths

Camp Pool Guy

In The Industry
Oct 13, 2016
New Milford
Morning all

I'm a little confused (and part of it is first thing in the morning)

I opened my pool using pool math and Clorox Concentrated -- but -- I get a VERY good price on bleach from our Janitorial supply company (5g bucket with pump measure) but even though I have the MDS for it, I am either drawing a blank on coming up with the weight/trade or having a hiccough of the brains). My rep tells me it is stronger/more-concentrated than clorox so I can use less (albeit he thinks sanitizing laundry etc.) but this isn't my wash.

here's a link to the MDS http://pariserchem.com/files/STAINEX.pdf ... it says "A highly concentrated, 15% stabilized liquid chlorine type bleach." --can anyone give me some guideance?

Thanks in advance

I am not sure if that is bleach reading the pamphlet. From what I understand you will want to use straight bleach and that is instable so you will want to know how it is stabilized and make sure that you are not added some random extra chemicals to your pool. On the container it should have ingredients listed similar to this. Shoot a picture of that
aa79c2305f0f457e3dbb4575dcdfebc9.jpg

It is probably just fine for pool use but you need to be in touch with the manufacturer to find the strength and make sure it contains NO other additives.

15% bleach would be quite rare and would have to be very fresh to retain that percentage. I have understood that some producers provide 12% labeled bleach but they produce it at 15% so it will arrive at the end user around 12%. Even then, 12% depletes rather quickly. 10% is MUCH more stable and is cxommonly available for pool use.

The document you provided is not an SDS, just a product information sheet. This is the only SDS I could find in a quick online search. http://www.packagesupply.net/private/msds/pariser/stainex.pdf

It doesn't look like there are any other ingredients aside from hypochlorite. The concentration is not specified on the SDS. There are methods for determining the concentration directly but I would simply dose your pool using Pool Math and the 15% in the % box. Test your pool for FC prior to adding and after 30 minutes of circulation. Adjust from there. Percentages above 10% decay fairly quickly so production dates on the containers are more critical to get the value for your money. I always get the freshest available when I buy my 12.5% and try to only have up to a months supply on hand so that I can buy fresher supply. Where I get mine it's so cheap I don't worry about it too much but might as well get the value that's available.

The document you provided is not an SDS, just a product information sheet. This is the only SDS I could find in a quick online search. http://www.packagesupply.net/private/msds/pariser/stainex.pdf

It doesn't look like there are any other ingredients aside from hypochlorite. The concentration is not specified on the SDS. There are methods for determining the concentration directly but I would simply dose your pool using Pool Math and the 15% in the % box. Test your pool for FC prior to adding and after 30 minutes of circulation. Adjust from there. Percentages above 10% decay fairly quickly so production dates on the containers are more critical to get the value for your money. I always get the freshest available when I buy my 12.5% and try to only have up to a months supply on hand so that I can buy fresher supply. Where I get mine it's so cheap I don't worry about it too much but might as well get the value that's available.

This is the advice I took (thank you all) and besides one post rainy weekend (I actually pumped about 3K gallons to waste to get my skimmers back) it's mostly held pretty well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.