Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What's the final word on the quikrete sand?

1. Back To Top    #1

What's the final word on the quikrete sand?

Several threads have pooped on it, but it looks like it was determined they had a quality control issue for a little while that was causing problems with sand size. Has that been resolved, or is it still an issue?
    20000 gal inground vinyl liner, HTH 6 Way test with Taylor FAS-DPD for CL, Dolphin DX4 Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What's the final word on the quikrete sand?

Other than there hasn't been any mention of actual problems recently there is no solid answer to that question. If its all you can get your hands on I would use it. If there is a pool store near by I would consider the sand they carry and compare price / risk.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

3. Back To Top    #3

I have used it twice recently starting up new filters. No sand found in the returns and no other issues. I would not hesitate to use it again. Got it at Home Depot.
    Dave in Phoenix, AZ, USA
    12,000 gallon IG (5' max depth) , Pebble-tec,
    Hayward SP2303 Maxflo 1.65 HP, Triton TR60 sand filter, 1 skimmer, Pool Devil skimmer, 3 returns, 1 aerator port, Navigator suction-side sweep, Hayward valve actuator, Rainbird sprinkler timer used for valve automation and chlorine injection. Softened water used for makeup.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Why take the chance? My understanding is that the Quikrete sand is "bagged" at several facilities across the US......we have seen pics of inadequate uniformity in the grain size.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I am very new to this forum, as a matter of fact this is my first post. I came to this site because I had to troubleshoot my brand new intex sand filter which was allowing sand by the laterals and into the pool from the very moment of first start-up. I had used the quikrete sand from Menards. It was confusing because this is my first sand filter and I had researched a lot before purchasing and I knew that I had set it up correctly. I got quite frustrated and ended up reading everything I could find about the situation, including a few threads on this forum.

I ended up taking the filter completely apart yesterday and upon inspection I was not able to find anything wrong with any of the laterals. I went to our local pool store and asked if they had heard anything about the quikrete sand being too fine. The guy I talked to stated that he hadn't heard anything about it. I bought a few bags of their sand which did not have any label or brand name that I could find. It was priced at $15/bag which is about double the price I had paid for the quikrete. They promised me that it was good stuff and I would be fine using it.

When I got home I compared the quikrete sand to the sand from the pool store and I could not believe the difference. I should have taken pictures.

After putting everything back together and cleaning out the sand in the bottom of my pool it has been working great with no sand entering the pool.

So, I am not going to tell anyone here what to use but I can promise that I will not be using the quikrete sand again.

6. Back To Top    #6

I have attached a photo of the two sands. The one on the left is the sand from my local pool store. The one on the right is the quikrete sand. You can see a major difference. This is evidence to me that they have not corrected their quality control issues.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16 X 48 Round Above Ground Pool Summer Waves Pool
    Intex 14" Sand Filter Plumbed to fit original skimmer

7. Back To Top    #7

The quickrete stuff looks like regular mason sand or playground sand. That was seriously in a bag labeled pool sand?
    Chuck-

8. Back To Top    #8

<Maddie adds Quikcrete to her list of products to never buy for my pool. First on the list being Clorox products....>

Yeah, we need to keep track of these problematic products.

THANK you very much for the picture!

Maddie
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Skippy's Pool Cooler --> Skippy's New Fountain Our Build --> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, it was labeled pool filter sand. Not knowing what I was looking for, I trusted the spec sheet I downloaded from the menards site and figured it was correct. Lesson learned.
    16 X 48 Round Above Ground Pool Summer Waves Pool
    Intex 14" Sand Filter Plumbed to fit original skimmer

10. Back To Top    #10

I currently have Quikrete pool sand in my intex filter. Its terrible! Within 2 days of vacuuming my pool has a significant amount of sand on the pool floor right below the return. Unbelievable! This weekend Ill be taking apart my filter & replacing the sand

Coleman 18x48 steel frame AGP
    6,000 gallons
    Intex Krystal Clear 16 Sand Filter Pump, Chlorine
    TF-100, Speedstir

11. Back To Top    #11

i have been using quickrete for 3 years with no issues. some sand will always come through the laterals. its the nature of the material and how its screened.

what makes pool filter sand pool filter sand is that its fractured. this creates sharp edges that allow it to pack together more closely. Masonry sand is round from being tumbled in the river. it can filter, but not as well as the sand with sharp edges.
    35,000 gallon Gunite pool. Soon to be saltwater. Inteliflo VSP, Zodiac PB4-60 Booster pump, Triton Purex Triton II sand filter, (2) Polaris 280 pressure service cleaners. Pentair 261055 MPV. Should be adding a Ray-Pak 336 heater within the month(06/2018).

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

3 years ago, the quikrete sand was different. It changed 2 years ago in a number of parts of the country.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

13. Back To Top    #13

This is 2 days after vacuuming. Brand new filter & sand was slowly added in so no damage to laterals. Backwashed & rinsed before use.

6,000 gallons
    TF-100, Speedstir

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno2 View Post
    i have been using quickrete for 3 years with no issues. some sand will always come through the laterals. its the nature of the material and how its screened.

what makes pool filter sand pool filter sand is that its fractured. this creates sharp edges that allow it to pack together more closely. Masonry sand is round from being tumbled in the river. it can filter, but not as well as the sand with sharp edges.
    Not quite right. Yes pool filter sand is fractured. The other thing that makes it filter sand is that it is graded to a uniform size. In this case a #20 sive. Proper filter sand should never get past the laterals and in to the pool. At least mine hasn't in 3 years.

You can see in the photo comparing the quickrete sand to filter sand that the quickrete sand does not look like fractured sand at all and is not graded properly.
    Chuck-

15. Back To Top    #15

The sand that I had before the quickrete was the pool store sand. All of the pool stores buy from Independent Materials here in Tulsa. Their sand was twice as much when I bought Quickrete from HD. Before I swapped mine I always had sand in the Polaris bag. Like a handful. I wonder if it is just a certain plant that makes the sand you guys are having problems with? We have a Quickrete plant in town.
    35,000 gallon Gunite pool. Soon to be saltwater. Inteliflo VSP, Zodiac PB4-60 Booster pump, Triton Purex Triton II sand filter, (2) Polaris 280 pressure service cleaners. Pentair 261055 MPV. Should be adding a Ray-Pak 336 heater within the month(06/2018).

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

As my fellow Connecticut citizen said, the quickcrete looks like washed dead / mason sand.

I have always been satisfied with Mystic White #20 crushed quartz..

OP - interesting treatment on pool rails? Is that a decal? Looks cool!

17. Back To Top    #17

I also have the mystic white sand in my filter, $10 for 50Lb at Job Lot this year. It's very uniform and noticeably larger grain size than the quickrete sand.
    Chuck-

18. Back To Top    #18

Wow, it is hard to believe that Quikcrete still can't get this right! Considering that you only need to put sand in your filter one time there is no reason not to get the best pool filter sand you possibly can.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

19. Back To Top    #19

Sorry to keep bringing this back up but Ive been meaning to share this picture. Here is the size of the Quikrete I got. I wish I knew what I know now. But I had no idea there would be this significant of a difference. I wasnt going for the cheapest sand I was simply buying what was available closest to me.

6,000 gallons
    TF-100, Speedstir