Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Draining pool/Vacuuming to waste

1. Back To Top    #1

Draining pool/Vacuuming to waste

Still figuring out my pool equipment.

If I wanted to drain my pool/vacuum to waste I would just need to attach a hose to the faucet and run it out to the street?

I just filled my pool to raise it up to half the skimmer opening a few days ago. Now it's down again a half inch. Is that normal? It has not been to hot in the SF Bay Area at all this week. I am sure that there is some sort of a drain that doesn't allow your pool to overflow. If yes where would I find that?

Thanks for any advice.

~26k Gallons, Plaster,in ground installed 2001, Purex/Triton Ultra Flo 6147 2HP Filter Pump, Pentair CCP 420 Filter, Compool LX220 Solar controller, 11 Panel Solar Industries Solar Panel, Lytro Legend Sweeper, Taylor K-2600 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Draining pool/Vacuuming to waste

That is not really there to allow vacuum to waste, most of the water would still go into your filter. It can be used to drain off a little water though.

Not all pools have overflow drains. My 2 have not.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

So how would I go about draining my pool? I want to lower my CYA since it is over a 100. Could I use the faucet to drain the pool a little at a time add more water then drain it again? Or Should I just buy a submersible pump and pump out the water?

~26k Gallons, Plaster,in ground installed 2001, Purex/Triton Ultra Flo 6147 2HP Filter Pump, Pentair CCP 420 Filter, Compool LX220 Solar controller, 11 Panel Solar Industries Solar Panel, Lytro Legend Sweeper, Taylor K-2600 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

i'd use a submersible pump and a hose.
    Viking Coronado IG Fiberglass 13k gallons, Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, Pentair Cartridge Filter (320 sqft), Pentair Electric Heat Pump (125k btu), Pentair Intellichlor IC20 SWG. TF-100 Test Kit. Located in SouthEastern PA.

5. Back To Top    #5

J,

I agree with sandman, the best way is to buy, or rent, a submersible pump. Using your pool pump can become difficult unless you have a way to turn off the skimmer(s) and select just the main drain.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Caldera Spa.

6. Back To Top    #6

I rent a pump from Home Depot when I need to.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!