Cloudy Pool

May 11, 2017
Madison,Al
Hello. My first post. I stumbled upon this great source of info and hoping to get some answers. I've had a pool for a few years and have really gotten by with shock, pucks algecide, strips and pool store testing. It has been ok so far but I have been dealing with a cloudy pool for weeks. I'm just tired of constantly going in to the pool store and getting nowhere so it's time to cut the cord! I purchased a Taylor k-2006 kit and performed my first test.

FC - 6.4ppm
CC - 2.0 ppm
pH - 7.8
TA - 150 ppm
CH - 450 ppm
CYA - 65-70

From reading several,threads, I thought for sure the CYA was really high. The only action I've taken so far was add muratic acid to get pH to 7.4 using Taylor's instruction tables. I'll check in the morning. Thoughts? Am I on the right track?

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP!

It really took 10 drops to clear the CC? It should be less than 1. That alone would point to needing to follow the SLAM process, and the cloudy water indicates the same.

Fyi, use 10ml of water so each drop is 0.5ppm

Thanks! Still cloudy this morning but I have not tested. It did take 10 drops for the CC test. Thanks for the hint on using 10ml. I'll do that next time. We are due a thunderstorm this afternoon so I'll wait and test after that. Cartridge filter pressure was unchanged but I did open it up and it had some gunk/slime on the pleats. I'll hose that out as well. Hoping for some positive news as school is almost out and I have to get this pool ready.

Yep - read through the process and will start that this afternoon pending the rain that's supposed to come.
One other question - looking at pool math to figure how much liquid chlorine to use, my Target field is my Shock FC field from the Chlorine/CYA table, correct? If I use bleach (8.25%), I'll need almost 3.5 gallons.

thanks.

Correct you set your current test result in the now, and the shock level in the target,. And yes it will likely take a few gallons of bleach it initially. Then each time you test you put that new number into the now column and you should likely have to add a little less bleach each time.

Yep - read through the process and will start that this afternoon pending the rain that's supposed to come.
One other question - looking at pool math to figure how much liquid chlorine to use, my Target field is my Shock FC field from the Chlorine/CYA table, correct? If I use bleach (8.25%), I'll need almost 3.5 gallons.

thanks.
That 3.5 gallons is just the first dose. You'll probably need a good bit again in an hour or two, and lesser amounts (hopefully) every few hours for a few days. If you find a good deal on bleach somewhere, stock up. 10 gallons at least. You'll be using a quart to a half gallon per day to maintain if after the SLAM is done, so it'll get used up before it goes bad.

So after work I tested. I had added 2qt muratic acid last night. New numbers:

FC - 4.0
CC - 0.6
pH - 7.2
TA - 140
CYA - 48

Would the muratic acid cause these changes outside pH? For the chlorine test, I got the same numbers with 25 and 10mL samples. Maybe beginner's use of the kit. I'm going to clean the filter and test again later tonight. Little confused now.

All the acid really did was lower the pH, and maybe slightly lower the TA (not measurable).

The CYA test is very dependent on lighting. You need to be sure the lighting is the same each time you test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, I'll keep that in mind. So based on these new chlorine numbers, it seems I should work on filtration and keeping the filter clean and not SLAM? I'll keep testing.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, after I wrote this I remembered I'm not done with SLAm until overnight test and clear.

You don't need to bother running the CC portion of the test during a SLAM, just do the FC test. That will help save some reagents now, but once the pool is clear you'll need to run it again. But no need if not clear as you can *see* there is something in there, y'know?

Maddie :flower:

Had a full day of soccer and errands so tested at 5:00p. FC was 23. CYA was about 48 (50) the same as last CYA test. So I was dosing to 25 which matched CYA of 60-70 from first test. But should I dose to 25 or go to new FC shock level of 20 (CYA of 50)? Water is still cloudy, no change. I'm thinking of putting a brand new cartridge filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.