Pump is tripping circuit breaker?

May 15, 2009
CT
It has been raining in CT for the last 8 days and when I plugged my Haywood pump in the electrical socket, it would immediately trip the circuit breaker. This has happened in the past and then it would eventually work the day after the rains would stop. Is this caused by the pump getting water logged? I am trying to understand why and what I need to do to correct. Thanks.

It sounds like something is probably collecting water. The two places I would check are the outlet housing and the motor where the electrical line enters.

Consider wiring the pump directly into a water proof box with flex conduit rather than just the plug. Your ouside a/c unit should be wired this way if you want to see how that would work. Makes for a water tight connection and eliminates the plug.

Finally stopped raining but it's hot and humid as heck outside. The circuit breaker works as it resets when I push the trip button. I then plugged a hair dryer into the receptacle and dried out the plugs end. The wire is encased in an aluminum flexible hose. I took the cover off the Haywood 1 hp flow pump. It was a little wet but I blow hot air into it to dry it. Still I get the circuit breaker tripping when I plug in the pool pump. How do I electrical test the pump to see if it's the pump? I have a multimeter. Thanks.

With the pump unpluged, check the ohm reading between the leads of the pump plug. The neutral to hot leads should be low ohms but not zero. Hot to ground should be infinite. I take it that the hair dryer was plugged into the same outlet without the breaker tripping?

Another possibility is that the start capacitor might have failed and you may or may not be able to tell with ohm reading. So if the ohm readings check out, another option is to replace the capacitor.

Thank you. I think I sorted out the problem, Yes the hair dryer was plugged into the same outlet and worked. However, I ran a heavy duty extension cord to the pool pump and it started right up. So it leads me to believe that the outlet is at fault as the pump draws more than the hair dryer and was tripping the breaker. So I guess I will change the outlet/breaker.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.