Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plaster discoloration after ascorbic acid stain removal

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Plaster discoloration after ascorbic acid stain removal

Vitamin C tablets removed stains caused by a chlorine puck, but left a different discoloration that I would like to get rid of (picture attached). The pool is currently dry and the problem areas are barely noticeable when dry. Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove the discoloration?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plaster discoloration after ascorbic acid stain removal

What have you tried? I would try bleach and muriatic acid cut 1 to 4 (m.a. 1 to water 4).

Good luck!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

More here about pool stains, Pool School - Pool Stains

Please add your pool info to your signature so that we can help you. More here about what to put in your signature, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Why is the pool empty?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm relatively new to pools (1.5 yrs) and did not want to try anything without seeking advice to avoid making the spots look worse. Pool turned to a swamp when I was away from home for an extended period, so I drained and cleaned it, and it is now waiting to be refilled, pending anything I might do for the spots. FYI, there had to be some copper in the water from many bottles of Clorox xtra blue shock that I had used fighting algae (no longer doing this), so maybe this contributed to the discoloration.

Is there any problem leaving the pool dry for up to a couple weeks while I sort this out? Temperature forecast is in low 70s.
    20K gal, IG plaster (10+ years old), 1.5HP Hayward Super II pump, 175 sqft cartridge filter, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 HP Hayward 5060 Booster Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I think you would do better to get water back in the pool rather quickly. I am not sure you can get all those stains, although some may be organic and will slowly fade if you keep your water chlorinated adequately.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Agreed, I would fill the pool back up. It is not good for pools or plaster to be empty for any period of time. Everything we recommend for clearing stains or algae can be accomplished with the pool full of water. Even if it is a swamp.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks, I'll start filling right away.
    20K gal, IG plaster (10+ years old), 1.5HP Hayward Super II pump, 175 sqft cartridge filter, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 HP Hayward 5060 Booster Pump