Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sand from filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sand from filter?

I am having issues with sand getting into the pool from my filter, is there anything i can attach to the return jet that captures the sand?I have seen something called the slimbag and was curious if there has been anyone using it. Thanks in advance!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sand from filter?

It's not normal, and indicates the laterals could be cracked or assembled incorrectly inside the filter.

Did you just deep clean it, or has this been an ongoing problem?
    ~john
    24.5K G, pebble, SuperFlo VS 1.5, 48sq DE filter, Hayward H250FDN, Autopilot RC-52, Poolvergnuegen & 3 daily swimmers in season.

3. Back To Top    #3

The sand filter and pump i bought last year and put the laterals down slowly put the sand in by hand have had this issue since. When i asked the pool store they said it could be the finer particulates passing and should stop. But I will keep an eye on it more now because i got it late last year and didnt get to get in the pool much.

4. Back To Top    #4

A hole-less sock and a rubber band on the return jets should catch the stuff.

If you get rid of it and it stops, the pool store was right. If it doesn;t stop, you're going to have to empty it and inspect things.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Sand Filter Problems - Page 4

Looks like im not the only one having issues!

6. Back To Top    #6

Here a couple pics from the link i shared. From what I can remember this is what they looked like

7. Back To Top    #7

Did you use pool filter sand?? I didn't read the other thread fully but the photos you re-posted look like play sand was used, not pool filter sand. I've never had issues with the Quickrete Pool Filter sand from Home Depot or Lowes.
    Dave in Phoenix, AZ, USA
    12,000 gallon IG (5' max depth) , Pebble-tec,
    Hayward SP2303 Maxflo 1.65 HP, Triton TR60 sand filter, 1 skimmer, Pool Devil skimmer, 3 returns, 1 aerator port, Navigator suction-side sweep, Hayward valve actuator, Rainbird sprinkler timer used for valve automation and chlorine injection. Softened water used for makeup.