Pool Fence requirement for LA county.

May 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Building a pool is like learning how to be your own contractor. Just researched on fence requirement.
pool fence requirement for LA county california Please correct me if Im wrong. Reading building code is confusing

Fence needs to be 60" high and no more than 2" off the ground. 4" above ground if on a solid stone or concrete surface.
If plan to do a metal fence the Vertical rods can be 4" apart if the Horizontal rods are apart 45" or wider
Vertical rods needs to be 1.75" apart if the horizontal rods are less than 45" apart.
Horizontal rods have to be on the side near the pool.

Gates need to be self closing and latching with latching device at lease 54" above the floor.
Gate have to open away from the pool.

That sounds right to me. I have a PDF from the City of Glendora which is a little easier to read but sounds like the requirements are the same. You can PM me if you want me to send you a copy. One thing in the Glendora document I don't see in your post.....

"Any other gates than pedestrian access gates shall be equipped with lockable hardware or padlocks and shall remain locked at all times when not in use."

Yup, you’re reading it correct. We finished our pool in Oct of last year and we went w/ the All-Safe pool fence that is removable and I could not be happier with the service and the lifetime warranty that came with the fence, I was going to do this myself and found for a couple hundred $ more I could get it installed professionally.

Kids love water, even when it is not hot out. Kids have no understanding of the danger. The whole idea is that a child should not be able to squeeze through the pickets (the 4" apart on verticals--portion of the code), or should not be able to step on the bottom rail of the fence and "leg" or climb over ( the 45" between rails--portion of the code). Any gate (whether "pedestrian"...aka walk way gate/single gate OR double gate...aka double gate or equipment gate) that allows access to the pool area must be self closing; this means once you open the gate, the hinges are made to automatically swing the gate back to a closed position. When combined with a "child proof" latch, the latch assembly will automatically come into place around the gate post (and is also of a design that children cannot reach or figure out the mechanism used to open the gate).

I believe the federal pool code is 4' high with the same caveats. Some cities, counties have more restrictive rules, like your 5' high.

For above ground pools, most municipalities state that if the pool is over 4' high, there is a removable or locking ladder, a fence is not required. But, we all know that most ground is excavated and leveled to place the pool, usually resulting in a pool that is not 4' from the grade. Then there are the people that will build a pool into a birm on one side, or a deck, which allows a child to pretty much walk right into the pool. For those that read this and this is or might be your situation, be safe and get a fence. Check your city, county or health department codes. Also make sure your insurance company knows you have a pool with a fence. If they find out that you have a pool without a fence, they will require one or will cancel you.

What bagiver2 said.

One point to clarify. The child proof latch is basically a latch thats 54 inches off the ground on a pedestrian gate. My 3 yo could open the latches, he just cant reach it! Also, nothing can be closer than 3 feet (i think its 3 feet, could be 2) to any fence or gate that could be used to climb on to reach a latch or get over the fence.

And yes, ALL gates have to be self closing. The caveat is that a "non-pedestrian" gate can have the latch lower than 54", you just have to keep a lock on it.

Now...all that code for fence still wont negate the fact that if some teenager wants into your yard, they can get there. Anybody that wants over that fence bad enough wil get over. In my mind, it keeps LITTLE kids out. But if their that little, why are they out in the 1st place alone? (ok, off my soap box)

Nothing in the world like buying a million dollar umbrella liability policy. Bout $250 a year and worth every penny.

Bottom line is..use common sense

There is a 20 feet setback code too.. Basically you can build anything that is closer than 20feet to the sidewalk. so now I have to place my fence 20 feet away from the sidewalk. I dont think it is ever enforced but to pass inspection they make you comply.

Basically I have to place the fence right up against my pool now. :rant:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.