Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Acid washing filters?

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Acid washing filters?

Pool service noob here... But is there really any reason to acid wash a filter? other than making it white? I mean I figure a normal rinse and clean would do the trick of cleaning it till you need to replace the filter? Why run the risk of mixing acid with water, ratio's, plus flushing that stuff everywhere in and after filling a garbage can? Just clean the filter without the acid??? Keep it clean till needing to replace filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Acid washing filters?

I never have, I mostly use water only, occasionally some TSP. More here, Re: How to clean a cartridge filter
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

You would only need the acid wash if the CH was high and the pH was not well maintained so that calcium scaling was forming on the filter media (cartridge or DE fins).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I've used a little acid with water to clean cartridge filters years back. It did clean them pretty well and get the pressure down like new. But I'd consider it more of a last ditch effort as I believe it eats up the material a bit. It seemed like the material was more brittle after.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

If you need something more than the hose I would be inclined to soak or wash them in chlorine, SLAM them.

And if you really think you need something a little more industrial I would go hydroxide rather than acid but either way extreme care is needed, gloves and eye protection. I have in the past used a sodium hydroxide solution to clean calcium carbonate based marine aquarium substrate (coral rubble). It works a treat at getting rid of even the most ingrained algae, after rinsing I'd put the substrate back and the sensitive corals were never affected. It worked a treat on my grease soaked range hood air filters today too.
    Steve.
    30,000L (8,000g) Pebblecrete | Davey 3sp Eco pump | Poolrite sand filter & SWCG |
    Waterco solar panels & Astral E140 pump| K2006, BlueDevil pH, Salt meter & K1766 | Town water - pH 7.2, TA 50, CH 60 | Esky full of coldies |

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Thanks everyone for your knowledge. Im pretty certain ill stay clear of ever doing this unless as one person put it, it was a last ditch effort. But just seen it in the past and made me think? Seems to me that its more of a hassle in the long run.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Heckmonkey View Post
    Thanks everyone for your knowledge. Im pretty certain ill stay clear of ever doing this unless as one person put it, it was a last ditch effort. But just seen it in the past and made me think? Seems to me that its more of a hassle in the long run.
    I'll put it this way, I wouldn't spend 80 plus for a new one before dropping it in some water with a little acid and testing it out. Potentially could save 80 plus for a bit. The problem is finding a bucket that is about the right size so you arent wasting a ton of water and acid.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

8. Back To Top    #8

If you do use a filter cleaning solution and you have a Hayward DE filter with the fingers, I highly recommend using a 5gal bucket to dip it in. It fits perfect!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    I've used a little acid with water to clean cartridge filters years back. It did clean them pretty well and get the pressure down like new. But I'd consider it more of a last ditch effort as I believe it eats up the material a bit. It seemed like the material was more brittle after.
    Yup. Its effective.

It definitely takes material off and effects the remaining material from my experience.

I consider acid washing the last step before replacing scaled up or habitually mistreated elements.
    What I do is was more an acid "soaking" than washing per se.

D
    20K Gallon Gunnite pool/900 Gallon in ground Spa/2HP WhisperflowSpa
    Pentair Master temp 400/Hayward Sand WZeobrite/Jandy RS-8 Aqualink/Jandy 2HP Epump
    12 - 4x10 Panels/Zodiac G3-T5 / BBB

10. Back To Top    #10

You don't need to clean your filter cartridges as thoroughly as you think. As particles build up on the filter media, the effective pore size decreases which effectively makes for better filtration. If your media get dirty enough, they can approach DE in terms of filter efficiency. I can definitely tell he difference between clean cartridges and dirty cartridges when I look into the water with the pool lights on at night. Dirty media give me a much cleaner pool.

Since the pressure drop across my filter doesn't change very much, I clean my cartridges once a year. I pull them out, simply spray my garden hose into the pleats, and then put it all back together.
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by JayBauman View Post
    You don't need to clean your filter cartridges as thoroughly as you think. As particles build up on the filter media, the effective pore size decreases which effectively makes for better filtration. If your media get dirty enough, they can approach DE in terms of filter efficiency. I can definitely tell he difference between clean cartridges and dirty cartridges when I look into the water with the pool lights on at night. Dirty media give me a much cleaner pool.

Since the pressure drop across my filter doesn't change very much, I clean my cartridges once a year. I pull them out, simply spray my garden hose into the pleats, and then put it all back together.
    Sure, a plugged up filter catches ever smaller debris as it reaches and exceeds its rated capacity for holding.

That added filtering efficiency due to lack of thorough cleaning comes at the cost of flow.

In pools that have low slow 24 hour pump runs, run at higher solar RPM during the day, run suction side cleaners,chlorinators, or heaters with high GPM pressure switches this kreeping loss of flow as the filter plugs up ultimately degrades system performance.

UD
    20K Gallon Gunnite pool/900 Gallon in ground Spa/2HP WhisperflowSpa
    Pentair Master temp 400/Hayward Sand WZeobrite/Jandy RS-8 Aqualink/Jandy 2HP Epump
    12 - 4x10 Panels/Zodiac G3-T5 / BBB