Suction pressure

Feb 15, 2017
Little Elm, TX
So, I've kind of asked about this before but, I've gotten so many different responses from TFP and other long time multiple pool owners that I'm feeling iffy on what to do.

Our new pool was finished the first week of March. Everything was great for about a week. Then the pool started to lose pressure which we noticed when the pump ran dry in week 2. That's a whole story in itself. I had the PB come back and put in a check valve and it has circulated well since then. Although, someone on this forum definitely declared that I had a suction side leak which, I kind of feel is accurate.

Still, after that was replaced, I still noticed quite a lot of debris on the top of the pool while the pump was running and after. A lot of cottonwood, or dandelions, couple of bugs etc..and a LOT of very fine particulate of who knows what. With a DE filter, I don't think that we should be seeing so much. I also tried the socks to no effect.

However, this is my first pool in Texas and I grew up on Long Island, NY and so, our family pools were not usually opened before the end of May.

My question is, is what I'm seeing normal or is there an issue with the build? Is this just normal Texas spring with a pool? I don't want to hassle anyone unnecessarily... Also it hasn't been especially sunny and we are topping off the pool 2"every week. That seems odd also.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

C,

Tell me what your pump schedule is.. How long do you run it and at what speeds?

How many skimmers and returns do you have?

What is your filter pressure and at what speed is the pressure taken?

How about a picture of your equipment pad.....

In my opinion, if you "had" to add a check valve to the input to your pump, then you have a plumbing issue of some type. I would suspect an air leak somewhere..

An IntelliFlo will suck the paint off the wall, so it must be a fairly big leak... :p

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks for reaching out, Jim.

Our current pump schedule is from 5 am -10 am and 3 pm -7 pm daily. We ran if for 12 concurrent hours up until about 2 weeks ago.

We have 2 skimmers and 5 returns.

Our filter pressure is 20psi at 3000rpm.

I'm trying to post pics of the equipment pad, give me a sec. :) Thanks for your obsevation and opinion.

C,

Tell me what your pump schedule is.. How long do you run it and at what speeds?

How many skimmers and returns do you have?

What is your filter pressure and at what speed is the pressure taken?

How about a picture of your equipment pad.....

In my opinion, if you "had" to add a check valve to the input to your pump, then you have a plumbing issue of some type. I would suspect an air leak somewhere..

An IntelliFlo will suck the paint off the wall, so it must be a fairly big leak... :p

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

C,

When running your schedule, which should be plenty... what speed is the pump running?

With 2 Skimmer and five returns, you should have plenty of circulation..

A Filter pressure of 20 is on the high side but at 3K RPM, I would think somewhat normal. Do you know what your clean filter pressure is and at what RPM???

When was the last time you backwashed or cleaned your filter?

What does the water coming out of your returns feel like? Do you have good flow going back to your pool?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to understand what the problem might be.

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.