SWG Superchlorination

Sep 16, 2008
Addis, Louisiana
About once every 2 weeks, I Superchlorinate my pool for 24 hours according to manufacturer's instructions. It does a fine job. However, I've noticed that every time I do so, there is a chalky white substance that collects at the bottom corners of my pool.

12,000 gallon Gunite/Plaster Pool 1.5 years old
Goldline SWG (currently set at 60%)
Pumps run 12 hours normally
Ozone system

Samples are as follows:

FC - 2.44
TC - 2.60
pH - 7.7
ALK - 77
CH - 284
CYA - 72
Salt - 3100
Borates - 50
Temp - 91 degrees F
* I use the Pool Calculator everytime and it says that my water is balanced. My plaster is in excellent condition.

CajunFoots said:
About once every 2 weeks, I Superchlorinate my pool for 24 hours according to manufacturer's instructions. It does a fine job. However, I've noticed that every time I do so, there is a chalky white substance that collects at the bottom corners of my pool.

12,000 gallon Gunite/Plaster Pool 1.5 years old
Goldline SWG (currently set at 60%)
Pumps run 12 hours normally
Ozone system

Samples are as follows:

FC - 2.44
TC - 2.60
pH - 7.7
ALK - 77
CH - 284
CYA - 72
Salt - 3100
Borates - 50
Temp - 91 degrees F
* I use the Pool Calculator everytime and it says that my water is balanced. My plaster is in excellent condition.
You probably should do this with bleach as using that setting shortens the life of the unit. I was wondering if there was a reason that you do this. Are your cc's going above .5. If you haven't already read pool school about when to shock your pool. Peace

Routine shocking isn't necessary in a properly balanced and chlorinated pool - only when your CC is above .5, you see visible algae or cloudy water (which you shouldn't see in a properly chlorinated pool :wink: ).

You should be maintaining your FC levels between 3-5, and never below 3. If you suspect you have a high FC demand and the SWG has trouble keeping up, I'd suggest you turn it off and perform an overnight FC loss test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.