Algae-dust-pollen question

I have an algae-dust-pollen question, and am feeling pretty frustrated. Pool is a 22 x 52 Intex ultra frame that has been up about four years now. There is foam under the bottom, but the foam is starting to separate a little bit and causing little crevices and wrinkles. Trying to get one more season out of it.

The pool was not maintained well over the winter due to family issues, and then in March the pump died so it was time to get serious about cleaning up the pool. The water never turned green but did have some spots of algae growing, and there was some dust-pollen-algae settling in those little crevices made by the foam bottom. We replaced the pump with an Intex 3000 gph pump and new filter/sand. We pulled the confer stairs, took them apart, soaked them in a strong bleach solution, and cleaned them well before putting them back in the pool.

In early April we slammed the pool and have had crystal clear water every since. We have very low chlorine loss during the day and none at night and no CC’s. We have brushed, scrubbed, vacuumed, vacuumed to waste, ran Wanda the Whale, used a battery operated vacuum, and manually vacuumed and even added DE to the sand filter but have never managed to get rid of this nasty stuff that settles in those crevices on the bottom for more than a few hours at a time
Hanging my head in shame, towards the end of April I made a trip to Leslie’s and was convinced to do a treatment with Yellow Out, thinking it must be mustard algae. We actually did two treatments. Followed the instructions to the letter, and the only thing it accomplished was screwing up our chlorine levels and causing a whole bunch of high CC’s for a few days. Never got rid of the stuff settling in the crevices.

The first week of May, we slammed the pool again for five days, even though the water was crystal clear. Four days ago, we passed (we think) the overnight tests. No free chlorine loss, water clear, no CC’s. But there is still the issue of that stuff – whatever it is – in the crevices. We then brought chlorine up to above Mustard Algae shock level, and held it there for 48 hours. The whole time I have been brushing every few hours, vacuuming, vacuuming to waste, testing the water, and keeping the chlorine levels where they should be for the shock. The chlorine is now drifting down from Mustard level. The water looks amazing. But still have NOT gotten rid of whatever it is that is settling in those crevices.

Last night we again did the overnight tests. Water crystal clear. No overnight chlorine loss. No CC’s. We have the Taylor 2005 test kit but have been using a borrowed powder - chlorine drop test kit, and now have our own that we bought from this site.

Here are our current numbers as of last night and this morning.
FC 17
CC 0
TC 17
CYA 30
PH 8.0 (But was tested when the chlorine was very high.
TA 100
CH 600
Salt 3000 (We have an SWG but have not turned it on yet)

Is this a lost cause and we should just tear the pool down and replace? Any ideas?

Here’s what it looks like.

Crystal clear water. diana fritz has shared 1 photo with you! | Flickr

And the junk in the crevices. You can see some of it in the upper left corner.
diana fritz has shared 1 photo with you! | Flickr

This was taken before the sun hit the pool so you can see it better.
diana fritz has shared 1 photo with you! | Flickr

If you're passing overnight chlorine loss tests, I'm going to say it's all the dust we have here in AZ. I have a bunch in my pool right now from the recent storm that came through - enough that I can put my foot down in the area the Kreepy doesn't reach and see a little brown cloud of it puff up. Now that you have some wrinkles, they're acting like a gold sluice riffle and providing a little deadspot for the dust to settle into, which is why its more visible this year than last.

Ignore your pH while FC is above 10. It's probably not high due to bleaching from all of the chlorine. Personally, I think you're fine letting the FC come down to 11, then raise your CYA to 80 to protect the pool from the crazy sun we get here, fire up the SWG, target FC 6 and get in and enjoy it!

Here is the chart - Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Use the non-SWG pool until you start up your SWG, then use the SWG numbers. Swim and enjoy. :)

Thanks Triptyx. We have had a lot of wind, and back up to a wash so I thought it might be dust, but I can't seem to get it out of my pool and it's gross. As much chlorine has been dumped in, I can't imagine anything could be alive in there but I haven't wanted to raise the CYA to fire up the SWG until I was sure. If I end up slamming again I for sure don't want to do it at 80 cya. LOL We did get in a week or so ago and the water was great but after this cold snap the water is back down to 66 anyway. :)

Diana

You're absolutely right about not wanting to SLAM at 80 CYA!

The real key for me here is:
You've had chlorine at mustard levels, and generally at SLAM levels for some time.
The water looks amazing - the photos are great.
You're passing the OCLT.

If there was something growing, you'd fail the OCLT, and that debris looks exactly like what's in my pool right now as well. So I'd say you're in good shape. The next time you're worried about it, bring the pool to SLAM level for your CYA, turn off the SWG, and run an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. That test will really tell you what's going on in the pool without wasting lots of money on weird chems and algaecides. We're also here to help! Ask as many questions as you need to and we have an expert that can help. :)

Honestly I knew better than to throw the Yellow Out in there, much less do it twice, but I was so frustrated. (I did resist the bags of "shock" they tried to sell me and used liquid chlorine) The pool went from having 18 FC and 0 CC to 1 FC and 12 CC in literally 24 hours. And oh, the smell! Almost like ammonia. I think it also ate up all my CYA somehow too because I went from 40 to 0. I guess <shudder> that is expected (according to Leslie's AFTERWARDS) but it really freaked me out. I lost track of how many gallons of liquid chlorine I dumped in my 10,000 gallons of water before it started holding a FC again.

But the million dollar question is how to get that dust or whatever out of the bottom of my pool? It is so fine that most of it just poofs away. I tried using a Pool Blaster Max to see what I could catch in the bag and it was minimal and all came right back. I have also already put DE in the filter and it only helped a little. Any idea on that one?

Diana

Grannydi, Im fairly new here, but I feel your pain. I got in my pool with the water temp at 58 degrees to feel
that stuff in the bottom of mine a few weeks ago. Turned out to be fine silt. I added DE to my filter , added skimmer
Sock, and use a skimmer sock in my pool blaster to trap more of it. That and brush brush brush worked wonders
for mine.
Bill

Thanks Bill. Glad you finally got it figured it out. But 58? BRRRR! My water is 66 now and I am not anxious to get back in there to brush some more.

I can't imagine it could be anything growing, but am doing one more OCLT tonight to be sure. We're due to hit 95 tomorrow so it will be clean the pool day. I'll do the DE again, use a skimmer sock, and get in there and brush, vacuum, vacuum and brush every hour or two and see what happens. If it passes the OCLT again tonight, in goes the CYA and I will kick on the SWG. Wish me luck!

Diana

The vacuum is the key. Let it all settle nice and grouped like it has been, then slowly run the vacuum right over the little piles. That will get the most in a single swing.

Other than that, you just have to vacuum frequently. In the end, it's just dust, won't really hurt anything. It doesn't look amazing, but there's no harm in it being there. Just try to stay ahead of it with the vacuum a bit. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.