Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to wire my spa pump to a DPDT switch.

1. Back To Top    #1

How to wire my spa pump to a DPDT switch.

I need help with wiring my spa pump to a DPDT switch. The pump motor is a Century 2 HP 240 volt. It is currently being controlled by a digital control unit that has stopped working again! I want to go to a manual system only. Currently the motor has these color wires going to it. Green to ground, White to terminal 2 Common, Black to terminal 3 High speed, and Red to terminal 4 Low speed. I simply want to be able to turn the pump on and off, and change from high to low speed on one switch. If anyone has a simple wiring diagram,that would be great. I have searched the threads any have not been able to find a definitive answer. Thanks for your help.
    15 x 30 Oval Steel Wall Pool
    Cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to wire my spa pump to a DPDT switch.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: How to wire my spa pump to a DPDT switch.

Quote Originally Posted by PHIFLYER View Post
    I need help with wiring my spa pump to a DPDT switch. The pump motor is a Century 2 HP 240 volt. It is currently being controlled by a digital control unit that has stopped working again! I want to go to a manual system only. Currently the motor has these color wires going to it. Green to ground, White to terminal 2 Common, Black to terminal 3 High speed, and Red to terminal 4 Low speed. I simply want to be able to turn the pump on and off, and change from high to low speed on one switch. If anyone has a simple wiring diagram,that would be great. I have searched the threads any have not been able to find a definitive answer. Thanks for your help.

I'm not aware of a single switch that would be able to do this but you would basically need to switch both the hot legs , black and red. It looks like you pump's low speed is 120 volt witch is red and high speed kicks it up to 240 volt with power from both red and black wires. You would need to put a switch between both hot wires and make sure you always turn on the red one first. Leave the green and white connected. Make sure the switches you buy are rated for at least the amps from the breaker, the breaker needs to be the weak point.

Edit: That Richard guy is everywhere.
    20'x48' 40,000 gal. Vinyl, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, Sta-Rite PLM300 System 2 Cartridge Filter, and a Pentair Mastertemp 250 heater all controlled by Pentair Easy Touch with Screen Logic. Dolphin Premier pool attendant.
    I've got iron stained well water. TF-100 and Speed Stir, Lamotte 3017-G for Borates