Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sticking sprinkler heads

1. Back To Top    #1

Sticking sprinkler heads

Invariably after the sprinkler heads get to be a couple of years old they stick in the up position. Been trying to think of what to do short of replacing them. I was thinking a shot of WD40 to the shaft. Could also use PAM perhaps. I read online and someone suggested Vaseline, but I think that would be too thick and gather too much gunk sticking to it. Any other suggestions or proven methods?
    Greg -
    11K gal, IG Pebble Sheen (Aqua Blue) with sun ledge and attached spa, Pentair Intelliflow 3050 VS/SVRS (3HP), Pentair ET 8 with Screen Logic, Pentair Racer with 3/4 HP booster pump, 400KBTU Pentair Mastertemp, Pentair 60 sq ft DE filter, J&J Intellibrite LED in spa, Zodiac Nature 2 (not used), Stenner pump/liquid Chlorine, build completed in August 2015

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sticking sprinkler heads

Some sort of silicone lubricant would likely last the longest. I'm thinking silicone would take longer for water to wash away vs. petroleum based lubricants.
    20'x40' Oval 27,000 gallon Vinyl IG, Coverstar Auto Cover
    Hayward MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Sta-Rite PLD50 30 sq. ft. DE filter
    Rheem 266,000 btu natural gas heater
    Dolphin Nautilus Plus with Clever Clean
    TF-100 testkit w/ Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Probably nothing petroleum based - as that would act as a dust/dirt magnet. Maybe some silicone spray? Or lube the upper seal with some pool lube when installing new heads.

I have Toro 570 heads. I just usually replace them every couple of years. Unscrew the top, pull out the guts, install new guts and top - I usually leave the lower housing in place as its less messy and less work. For me anyways, it's easier doing that then remembering to relube every 6-12 months.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

4. Back To Top    #4

I use Sil-Glyde on things that get wet. Works great for O rings too. Most auto part stores have some version of it.
    20'x48' 40,000 gal. Vinyl, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, Sta-Rite PLM300 System 2 Cartridge Filter, and a Pentair Mastertemp 250 heater all controlled by Pentair Easy Touch with Screen Logic. Dolphin Premier pool attendant.
    I've got iron stained well water. TF-100 and Speed Stir, Lamotte 3017-G for Borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the feed back, I'll grab a can of silicone spray and see how that works.
    Greg -
    11K gal, IG Pebble Sheen (Aqua Blue) with sun ledge and attached spa, Pentair Intelliflow 3050 VS/SVRS (3HP), Pentair ET 8 with Screen Logic, Pentair Racer with 3/4 HP booster pump, 400KBTU Pentair Mastertemp, Pentair 60 sq ft DE filter, J&J Intellibrite LED in spa, Zodiac Nature 2 (not used), Stenner pump/liquid Chlorine, build completed in August 2015