Rising pH

Apr 15, 2017
Lake Charles, La
I am having a problem with rising ph that I didn't have last summer, and I'm not sure if this is normal or not. This is only our 2nd summer as pool owners, so we are new.
Water is beautiful. My readings:
Cya 30
fc 6
cc .5
Ta 175
Ch 125
Ph 7.9

My problem with ph is that it rises every day, and there is no play in the pool (way to cold for me to hop in lol) Is it normal for ph to rise a tenth a day? Should I up my cya a little to stabilize It?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

With that high TA level, I'd say it's behaving normally. When pH hits 7.8, knock it back to 7.2. That should buy you a few more days between doses. As the TA level drops, the amount of acid to lower pH will also drop, and the intervals between additions will get longer.

Thank u for ur replies! We are adding in MA to knock the ph down to 7.2.
I love this forum! Other pool owners look at me with crazy eyes when I tell them how I follow these recommendations. Then I just smile at them when they tell me we can't swim in their pools bc it's cloudy after the slightest rain storm! ??

wait till you talk to someone that sells pool chems and you tell them that shocking a pool is almost never a thing if cared for correctly, and definitely not a thing every single week like they tell you is required to control the pool...and when you chlorinate, you use, gasp, BLEACH...oh, their eyes spin like a one armed bandit in vegas!!!!!

oh, those crazy pool store people!

I've never shocked my pool through the entire last summer. I did obviously this year opening it, but they think I'm nuts. I've actually been asked if it's safe to swim in at my target chlorine levels bc they're used to pool store levels. I say my pool water is more sanitary than ur drinking water.
I've never been to a pool store. This forum gives me all I need. You guys are great!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.