Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rising pH

1. Back To Top    #1

Rising pH

I am having a problem with rising ph that I didn't have last summer, and I'm not sure if this is normal or not. This is only our 2nd summer as pool owners, so we are new.
    Water is beautiful. My readings:
    Cya 30
    fc 6
    cc .5
    Ta 175
    Ch 125
    Ph 7.9

My problem with ph is that it rises every day, and there is no play in the pool (way to cold for me to hop in lol) Is it normal for ph to rise a tenth a day? Should I up my cya a little to stabilize It?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Location: Southwest Louisiana. 22' Round Intex AG pool. Sand filter. Test kit: Taylor K 2006.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rising pH

With that high TA level, I'd say it's behaving normally. When pH hits 7.8, knock it back to 7.2. That should buy you a few more days between doses. As the TA level drops, the amount of acid to lower pH will also drop, and the intervals between additions will get longer.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Your CH is lower than recommendation, so pay attention to your CSI on pool calculator when lowering PH too far. You may need to raise your CH so you don't go to for in the negative.
    16,000 gallon in-ground pebble tec pool. Hayward SP3400VSP Eco-Star Pump, Pentair Triton 2 TR-100 sand filter, A&A 5-port in-floor pool cleaner, Pentair Intellibrite 5g color changing pool light, Polaris 965iQ Robotic Pool Cleaner, OG Pool Math Subscriber and most importantly a Taylor K-2006C test kit.
    Test Kits Compared
    | SLAM | Chlorine / CYA Chart |

4. Back To Top    #4

Low CH is not a problem with a vinyl pool unless the water starts foaming and it's annoying.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Low CH is not a problem with a vinyl pool unless the water starts foaming and it's annoying.
    Thanks, I totally forgot the difference for vinyl. I'm just so use to everyone having plaster pools in AZ.
    16,000 gallon in-ground pebble tec pool. Hayward SP3400VSP Eco-Star Pump, Pentair Triton 2 TR-100 sand filter, A&A 5-port in-floor pool cleaner, Pentair Intellibrite 5g color changing pool light, Polaris 965iQ Robotic Pool Cleaner, OG Pool Math Subscriber and most importantly a Taylor K-2006C test kit.
    Test Kits Compared
    | SLAM | Chlorine / CYA Chart |

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank u for ur replies! We are adding in MA to knock the ph down to 7.2.
    I love this forum! Other pool owners look at me with crazy eyes when I tell them how I follow these recommendations. Then I just smile at them when they tell me we can't swim in their pools bc it's cloudy after the slightest rain storm! 😂😂

Location: Southwest Louisiana. 22' Round Intex AG pool. Sand filter. Test kit: Taylor K 2006.

7. Back To Top    #7

wait till you talk to someone that sells pool chems and you tell them that shocking a pool is almost never a thing if cared for correctly, and definitely not a thing every single week like they tell you is required to control the pool...and when you chlorinate, you use, gasp, BLEACH...oh, their eyes spin like a one armed bandit in vegas!!!!!

oh, those crazy pool store people!
    Windy ☆ 22ft round, 11,400 gal, intex ag vinyl, SF70110-1 Intex sand filter/2800 gph pump, CS8110 intex swg, city water, solar heater, TF100 test kit/speed stirrer, over the wall intex skimmer~fall river ks~SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math

8. Back To Top    #8

I've never shocked my pool through the entire last summer. I did obviously this year opening it, but they think I'm nuts. I've actually been asked if it's safe to swim in at my target chlorine levels bc they're used to pool store levels. I say my pool water is more sanitary than ur drinking water.
    I've never been to a pool store. This forum gives me all I need. You guys are great!