Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1st numbers with TF-100

1. Back To Top    #1

1st numbers with TF-100

HI everyone,

I just had my pool installed and because of weather couldn't get the water truck so, I started with my well, then don't laugh used my sump pump to fill the pool, in the spring my pump goes off every 20 seconds or so, any way I did a few of the tests and some numbers are way to high I think. 1st does the temp matter water is below 70 degrees. I stopped testing when I saw these numbers. does it look like I have to drain some or could the temp cause some of this.

TA- 470
    CH- 475
    FC- 5
    PH- 7.5
    CYA- 0

Thanks
    33 Round AGP, 28,800 gallons, 2HP 2speed Hayward pump, cartridge filter, TF-100 test kit, installed May 3 2017

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: 1st numbers with TF-100

Is that TA really 470 or is that a typo? If that's what you got, make sure you do this:

Sometimes a static electric charge can build up on the R-0009 dropper bottle tip, causing the drops to be smaller than usual and making the test read higher than actual. You can prevent this by wipping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp cloth or tissue before you start and after each drop
    Pool School - Total Alkalinity

CYA relatively soon would be a good idea.
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

3. Back To Top    #3

The numbers are real, I did wipe the tip once in a while, because I had to add so many drops to get the color change. 47 drops. I could try again but I ran the test twice.
    33 Round AGP, 28,800 gallons, 2HP 2speed Hayward pump, cartridge filter, TF-100 test kit, installed May 3 2017

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

If that is the case then (as they say) "It is what it is". You might have ph rise pretty aggressively then.

If so here's the lowering TA article if you decide you need to Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Log ph for awhile and see how it goes.
    32K gallon Plaster - CircuPool SJ-55 SWG - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL/K-1766
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart - Support TFP

5. Back To Top    #5

You just have hard water. You probably already know this from the crust on showerheads and coffeemakers.

A tip: If you expect that your TA level is extremely high, you can do the test so that each drop is 25, instead of 10, to speed up the process and save on reagent usage. Use 10 ml of pool water, 1 drop of R-0007, 3 drops of R-0008, and multiply the number of drops of R-0009 by 25 to get your TA level.

That was lifted straight out of Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions. It doesn't really matter if you use the large sample and get 470 TA or the small sample and get 475. There's a similar shortcut for the CH test. It saves reagents and time.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the replies, I will log for a while and see what happens, I don't want to rush into a water change, but I may add some muriatic acid tonight.

Thanks again