Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Landscaping around AGP

1. Back To Top    #1

Landscaping around AGP

We have just had a 33' AGP installed on the site that my inlaws (many years ago) had a 27' pool. Back "in the day" my inlaws kept pine needles on plastic tarp around the edge of the pool to keep the grass from growing. I have been told that pine needles are a snake pit, and that is why they had snake issues with their previous pool (for the record, I'm terrified of snakes and my heart rate is up from just typing this). I would like suggestions for what we could use to put around our pool that will not become a haven for snakes. I've already ruled out gravel, as I might not be able to see snakes hiding out among the rocks. Thanks in advance.
    Serena 33'x52" AGP, 25,600 gallons
    1.5 HP Pentair Pump, Heyward Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit, Speed Stir
    PH Pen

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Landscaping around AGP

I used a bunch of bags from lowes of egg rocks. This is a picture of the rocks. They are nice big rocks

Egg Rock
    Gallons: 5000 Gallons
    Pool: 15' Saltwater 5000
    Filter: Pentair 1 HP Optiflow Pump w/ Clean & Clear 75Sq Ft Cartridge Filter
    SWG: Intex CS8110

3. Back To Top    #3

I like those rocks, and it would certainly take fewer of those than the pea gravel, but does it leave enough space for snakes to hide in?
    Serena 33'x52" AGP, 25,600 gallons
    1.5 HP Pentair Pump, Heyward Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit, Speed Stir
    PH Pen

4. Back To Top    #4

I have no idea. Other people have used rubber mulch or regular mulch as well
    Gallons: 5000 Gallons
    Pool: 15' Saltwater 5000
    Filter: Pentair 1 HP Optiflow Pump w/ Clean & Clear 75Sq Ft Cartridge Filter
    SWG: Intex CS8110

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by richierich View Post
    I used a bunch of bags from lowes of egg rocks. This is a picture of the rocks. They are nice big rocks

Egg Rock

+1 this is what I used. It's easy on my kids feet as well when they have to run out to pick up pool toys that escaped from the pool.
    24' Doughboy Autumn Breeze AG - Hayward Power-Flo LX 1hp - Hayward EC40C90 Perflex DE
    ColorQ Pro7 & TF 100

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by vbharrington View Post
    I've already ruled out gravel, as I might not be able to see snakes hiding out among the rocks.
    I'm no expert, but most snakes are going to hide in secluded safe spots, and I can't imagine them hanging out in the open on pea gravel or river rock gravel if it's an actively used area like the pool. If they do they'll probably flee as soon as you get anywhere close. The spacing between rocks would also be too small for effective concealment.

Are you concerned about Rattlers, Water Moccasins, Copperheads or Corals? Aside from those, there are no other snakes to worry about. As far as bites go, you'd have to work really hard to get bitten and poisoned by a Coral Snake. Rattlers will try to warn you, and the Cottonmouth will probably stay relatively close to water. The Copperhead is probably the most concerning as far as potential for poisonous encounter and bite, but it's poison isn't likely fatal and they aren't aggressive.

My suggestion is to go with a gravel of some sort around the pool and enjoy it. I don't have a one myself, but am in the process of researching, and gravel surrounding an AGP just looks good, is low maintenance, avoids muddy spots, etc. I really wouldn't worry about snakes. They're scary looking, but likely aren't going to attack you unless you pretty much step on them, and in all odds your only encounters will when be scaring them away.