Will salt corrode my screws?

Aug 6, 2008
Delaware
Hi,
I posted earlier re: My IGP(Salt water generator) I have rusty screws around one skimmer plate(not both) and around the light. I was told the screws will be like that due to the salt;I argued that not all of the screws were rusty and they(the pool Co.) said they are not rusty they are corroded What is the difference? They are red,rusty colored and unacceptable to look at. I said they need to be better quality stainless steel. Their response "they will just corrode again"
Why would anyone spend thousands of dollars on a beautiful swimming pool with a SWG to "LIVE WITH"rusty screws :rant:
Any Thoughts? :blah:

FC-5.0
TC-5.0
CC-0
PH-7.8
TA-80
CYA-70

The company that made that skimmer used inferior quality screws. If they used the correct grade of stainless steel, as the other skimmer did, you wouldn't be having that problem.

Your pool company is half right. Low quality screws corrode because of the salt in the pool. Actually they would corrode even without the salt, but it would take much longer. But they are wrong about replacing them. If they replace them with the correct screws they will last the life of the pool even with salt in the water. Of course if they replace them with inferior screws they will corrode again, so in one sense they weren't quite lying.

Make them replace the screws with the correct grade of stainless steel screws, so they don't corrode, if you possibly can. No pool equipment in the US should be made with lower grade metals any more these days. Doing so is just trying to save a buck by cheating the customer. If you can't get them to replace the screws you will need to do it yourself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.