Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: We're doing a massive pool rehab and have a couple questions

1. Back To Top    #1

We're doing a massive pool rehab and have a couple questions

I'm new to pools and to spas, First off the pool has an inground spillover spa that had a heater at one time but now none of the related heating items are present. Spa is basically half of an octagon. Approximately 5/7. I'm in southern ms. During the summer the average temp here is 90 at night it's usually in the 70s my question is will a 5.5 letter heater work for this hot tub I have a system from an older above ground spa I was contemplating using but it might not be worth the trouble. Says it's a pinnacle. Anyway any info is appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: We're doing a massive pool rehab and have a couple questions

What is a 5.5 letter heater?

Any heater will add heat, size impacts how quickly it will.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Is that a 5.5 kWh heater? It won't work very well for an inground spa. They are designed to maintain continuous heat for an insulated and covered hot tub. Heating up concrete and the ground around it will take forever and it will have to run a lot to maintain the heat.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Prediction text changed my typing it's a 5.5 kw heater. What size heater would you recommend to heat an inground spa?

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the quick replies

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a 7x7 attached inground spa that is heated with a 400k btu heater that heats the spa from 65-95 degrees within 25-30 minutes. Mine is natural gas, but I don't know how that translates into a kw measure.
    36,000 Gallon Inground (IG) Gunite Pool with Spa and 12" tanning ledge | White Plaster | Cartridge Filter | Hayward Single Speed Pump (x2) | 400k BTU Hayward Heater | Hayward ProLogic Automation | Taylor K2006 Test Kit | In-pool Cleaner | August / September 2016 Build Date | Build Thread

6. Back To Top    #6

if you can switch to gas you will save $$
    Doug - Purchased 1/2016, 1995 house with 16x31 ft, ~23000 gallon Gunite pool w 11x7 spa, 3 Pentair VS pumps, a boost pump for polaris 3900 and a BaduŽ Jet super-sport swim jet pump, 1.5 hp blower, a CL460 Cartridge filter. TF-100 test kit. Aquapure 1400 SWG, iAqualink - Lots to learn. New Aquabright, Jandy LEDs, CMP LED Sheers.

7. Back To Top    #7

If you want to be able to let it sit at ambient temp and heat on demand then at least a 250k btu gas heater, 400k btu is better. By the way, a 5.5kw heater is a little under 19k btu.

If gas isn't an option you can use a 140k btu heat pump but it will take longer. You might want to cover it and keep it partially heated to speed heat up, say 85 or 90 degrees.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

2545 btu/kw so 5.5 kw heater would equal approx. 14,000 btu. Substantially smaller than recommended

My bad, the conversion above is to hp not kw. 3411 btu/kw so about 19 K btu as mentioned above (long time ago when I was a practicing engineer I had all these conversions memorized)
    40 year old pool, 35k gal w/spa, gunite replastered July 2016, Hayward Sand filter, Hayward 1.5 hp single speed pump, TF-100, Kreepy Krauly suction side cleaner Dolphin M400

9. Back To Top    #9

Due to the odd shape of the spa some quick figuring shows it to be approximately 301 gallons. The pool seems to be around 19.5k gallons. Would you all still recommend a 400k but gas heater for that size spa?

10. Back To Top    #10

Big as possible if you want to heat it fast. I'd avoid electric for an inground spa. The bigger one will heat faster and be able to keep up with demand as cold air is pulled in through the jets for your bubbles.