My CYA is not showing up

Jun 11, 2009
Tennessee
My CYA is not showing up. The pool store said it was 34 on June 15th. They told me to add another 4 lbs of stabilizer. I had added 4 lbs a week prior so 8 lbs total. I used the stocking method. The last of it dissolved two days ago. I shook the solution for over 30 seconds and had my back to the sun when reading the result. The black dot never went away when facing the sun or with my back to the sun. This is a new pool. 28,800 gallon above ground, 54" height 33' round. I use liquid bleach. My test today using the tf-100 is chlorine 3.5, 0 cc, 140 TA, ph 7.5. I will wait a few days and test the CYA again. The water looks crystal clear.

The pool store gave us an ionizer in the pool package but we returned it. They are pushing trichlor pucks and told us if we use liquid chlorine we will have to shock every week.

Does anyone have suggestions for the CYA test? I'm a total newb. Thanks.

Cindy

Re: CYA test, dot completely gone?

cya can take up to a week to completely dissolve and show up on tests. what test kit are you using? are the reagents new/fresh? you do have to shock weekly if you follow the pool store's method. but if you keep your chlorine per the chlorine/cya chart in pool school, you don't. have you read pool-school/ ?

Welcome to TFP!

4 lbs of stabilizer in 28,800 gallons is about 17 ppm of CYA. That isn't enough to show up on the test. But 8 lbs would be 34 ppm, which should show up if it has all dissolved.

How did you add the CYA?

I would do the test in a brightly lit indoor room, every time.

You don't show your equipment, do you have a sand filter, did you backwash while adding the CYA - was the sock in the skimmer or in front of the return?

Are you sure of the strength of the CYA - there are products out there as low as 50% cya.

You shake the solution twice....

Have you seen this link?
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/ChemistryTopicsCM.ASP?ContentID=44

I have seen the taylor technologies link. I read the pool school before we had the pool installed. I have a millenium sand filter 2hp, 2 speed. I had it set to filter when I added the cya. I put the cya in nylon knee highs and hang it from a board at the return. I have not backwashed since adding the cya. My husband backwashed before I added the last four pounds of cya but it had been a week since the first addition of cya. The stabilizer just says ingredients:100% cyanuric acid. It's only been two days since this last addition has dissolved in the stocking so I will give it a few days before I test again. I did shake the solution twice. I'll just recheck it in a few days and see if it shows up.

The water temp is 90 degrees. I don't know if this could have anything to do with it. I am using the TF-100 kit. I just received it today so it should be fresh.

EDIT: Actually I have only added six pounds of CYA total. The first canister was only 2 lbs. I was mistaken.

Thanks a lot. I will work on a signature tonight listing all my equipment.

Cindy

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.