Bronze Supporter
May 5, 2017
Columbus
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
First, thanks for anyone who can help. I have had cloudy water for over a week and have tried shocking my pool with the 1 pound bags of shock. I have an in ground pool around 31,000 gallons. I tested my pool today after ordering from this site recommendation,s kit. I just baught a big bucket of chlorine pucks and shock to try and get my pool crystal clear. Then I started searching the web for a fix and found this site after the purchase. image.jpg So I do have those chemicals to use. I noticed in many threads that this was probably a mistake. I do not see any algae, so I hope that is not a problem. So here are my numbers.
cL is .5
ph is 6.8
fc is .5
cc is .5
tc is 1
calcium hardness is 150 ppm
total alkalnity is 110
cya is around 55

I have done a good job of cleaning pool, then 1 day I checked automatic puck chlorine feeder and it was empty. It was just starting to get cloudy. We swam one day and it got worse since. I added some shock but there is just no readings for chlorine. Now I can't see the bottom steps in the shallow end. Any help would be very helpful.
Thanks,
Aaron

All you need now is a lot of bleach, a lot of brushing, and a lot of patience. No more pucks or powders. Your pH is low from all that dichlor and trichlor, but some aeration from all the filtering and brushing will fix that, so just ignore it for now and SLAM Process. Read that whole article, even all the notes. You may want to try adding DE as mentioned and linked in that article.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ok, Test Kit came in. Been slamming pool since Monday. Have a couple questions.
1. When checking for Hardness do you swirl between drops when trying to get tube water to blue. And does the pressence of blue count or do you go till the whole tube is blue? I have been just adding drops until the water turns blue which takes more then if you swirl in between drops.

2.CYA seems to be subjective to me. If you have bad eye sight, won't the black dot go away quicker. I have real good eye sight so I can see that black dot for a while.

3. Pool is pretty clear, cc is .5 but my over night FC level drops by 5 or 6 the last 2 nights. When will it keep its FC, and how long after I pass this last item will it take to be able to swim?

I add pictures, and test results once I get home tonight. Would love to use pool this weekend, but don't want to mess up the system I got going right now.

Thanks,
Aaron

Ok, Test Kit came in. Been slamming pool since Monday. Have a couple questions.
1. When checking for Hardness do you swirl between drops when trying to get tube water to blue. And does the pressence of blue count or do you go till the whole tube is blue? I have been just adding drops until the water turns blue which takes more then if you swirl in between drops.
If you can manage it, swirl constantly. I use a speedstir and let it do the swirling for me. You keep adding drops until the whole sample turns blue and doesn't get any bluer. It will go sky blue. When you get to the last drop that doesn't do anything, don't count it.
2.CYA seems to be subjective to me. If you have bad eye sight, won't the black dot go away quicker. I have real good eye sight so I can see that black dot for a while.
Hold it at waist level and look at it then look away then look again and so on, so it doesn;t burn the image in your eyesight. Blind people like me wear our glasses when testing.
3. Pool is pretty clear, cc is .5 but my over night FC level drops by 5 or 6 the last 2 nights. When will it keep its FC, and how long after I pass this last item will it take to be able to swim?
Every pool is different. If the water is looking clear, then it's time to seek out algae in its hiding places inside ladders, beneath steps, behind lights, anywhere there's poor circulation. You've only been five days, so it's a little soon to panic. Keep on the FC levels over the weekend and brush everything and don't forget the hiding places and you should see big improvements.[/quote]

I add pictures, and test results once I get home tonight. Would love to use pool this weekend, but don't want to mess up the system I got going right now.

Thanks,
Aaron[/QUOTE]

View attachment 61583View attachment 61584

Fc-17
cc .5
ch 150
ta 210
cya 45

How long after final chlorine dump at night do you wait to test your fc for the over night chlorine loss test? Little nervous about the ch and ta.
Sorry this is probably too late to help.. but... you're not ready for the OCLT. That water isn't clear.

When it is, and you do the OCLT, maybe an hour, with plenty of brushing to really get things mixed well.

After the SLAM, then worry about the rest. CH is real easy to fix. Just dump some powders in and it's cured. The TA may not really be that high. If you were watching for green>pink it might have gone blue>yellow at high FC. Also the R-009 could have static buildup on the tip. Check the notes for the TA test Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.