Should I cancel my pool company opening??

Bski224

Jan 18, 2016
Long island NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hey guys, supposed to have my pool opened tomorrow for first opening since I had pool installed. They want $315 to do opening. Also now they tell me vacuum isn't included that's an additional $85 per hour and $35 to clean my salt cell.
I also have an auto cover so they don't even have to take a cover off and fold it. I have never done an opening before although im sure it's not difficult. I am a "do it yourself' guy and it pains me to pay someone to do this.

I do have an overflow spa connected to pool not sure if that makes opening any more difficult. Thoughts???

You really have two choices. 1) Pay them and watch everything that they do. Ask what everything does and why it's there. 2) Post pictures and ask questions here. Get great advice and learn how to do it with our help.

I never close, so have no experience. BUT, I just can not understand how they charge so much money for what in my mind needs to get done.

Seems like this is it:
1. Clean off the cover
2. Remove the cover
3. Install the drain plugs in the pump and filter.
4. Install the pump basket and lid
5. Remove any return jet plugs and skimmer plugs in the pool
6. Fill up the pool with water
7. Scoop out any debris in the pool
8. Put the valves in the right position
9. Start the pump
(10. Throw a bunch of chemicals in the pool ... NOT TFP recommended)

I am sure I may have missed something since I have never done it, but there are others here that can help.

Longest thing in my mind is going to be waiting for the pool to fill with water.

I think you can do this. Do you have a good test kit for balencing your water?

I also never "close" we run pump a few hours a day in winter and have a thermostat triggered timer in case the temps dip near freezing.

I think the fact that you are on TFP gives you your answer. Jblizzle has it all but (9B) putting the water in the pump basket to get it to prime. It also depends on who closed it and what pipes they disconnected or possibly removed or lost any o rings. Save yourself the $300 and do it yourself. It's not rocket surgery ��.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My pool company charges 175.00 for opening and I always open in March so I get a $50.00 credit for early opening. They are here less than 25 minutes. They take the cover off and fold it up and put it in the bag, put the returns back in and turn the pump on. I do my own chemicals.

Closing costs $169.00 and they are here about the same time. They blow out the lines, put the gizmo in the skimmer, remove the returns and cover the pool. I have the pool ready to close so they are in and out.

All chemicals are extra if they need to use any and they never clean the cover.

Bski224:

Did you have your pool opened by the company?

Opening is easier than closing. Here at TFP, we can guide you through the opening and closing. If you have not paid yet, please post pictures of your equipment pad and describe how many main drains, returns, and skimmers you have. We will guide you through the rest.

Hey guys, yes pool company did it. It worked out ok. Yes it was a waste of $250 they took money off because I said NO CHEMICALS and also the fact they didn't need to take a cover off. One hot tub jet was not working so they conged that as well. Basically I will be doing opening from here on out. Thanks for all the feedback!!

Basically I will be doing opening from here on out. Thanks for all the feedback!!

Yes, you will. The satisfaction you will get from saving that kind of $$$. Please take a picture of your equipment pad so I can describe the closing procedures as well. I know the season just started, but the sooner you prepare, the easier the task will be.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.