Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I cancel my pool company opening??

1. Back To Top    #1

Should I cancel my pool company opening??

Hey guys, supposed to have my pool opened tomorrow for first opening since I had pool installed. They want $315 to do opening. Also now they tell me vacuum isn't included that's an additional $85 per hour and $35 to clean my salt cell.
    I also have an auto cover so they don't even have to take a cover off and fold it. I have never done an opening before although im sure it's not difficult. I am a "do it yourself' guy and it pains me to pay someone to do this.

I do have an overflow spa connected to pool not sure if that makes opening any more difficult. Thoughts???
    20x40 rectangle, 28,500 gallons, Vinyl liner, Hayward cartridge filter VSP, Hayward aqua connect automation, connected spa with overflow, Hayward heater, automatic cover, TF100 kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Should I cancel my pool company opening??

You really have two choices. 1) Pay them and watch everything that they do. Ask what everything does and why it's there. 2) Post pictures and ask questions here. Get great advice and learn how to do it with our help.
    Bob - INTEX 12x24 owner (not setup yet), 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

I never close, so have no experience. BUT, I just can not understand how they charge so much money for what in my mind needs to get done.

Seems like this is it:
    1. Clean off the cover
    2. Remove the cover
    3. Install the drain plugs in the pump and filter.
    4. Install the pump basket and lid
    5. Remove any return jet plugs and skimmer plugs in the pool
    6. Fill up the pool with water
    7. Scoop out any debris in the pool
    8. Put the valves in the right position
    9. Start the pump
    (10. Throw a bunch of chemicals in the pool ... NOT TFP recommended)

I am sure I may have missed something since I have never done it, but there are others here that can help.

Longest thing in my mind is going to be waiting for the pool to fill with water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Also what kills me is I have an auto cover. Not even taking cover off and cleaning.
    20x40 rectangle, 28,500 gallons, Vinyl liner, Hayward cartridge filter VSP, Hayward aqua connect automation, connected spa with overflow, Hayward heater, automatic cover, TF100 kit

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I think you can do this. Do you have a good test kit for balencing your water?

I also never "close" we run pump a few hours a day in winter and have a thermostat triggered timer in case the temps dip near freezing.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes TF100 nothing but the best!!

7. Back To Top    #7

Closing intimidated me a little because I was afraid of freezing and damaging plumbing, but opening was pretty straight forward. (closing also went fine, but I did pay someone to do it the first year)
    20K gallon 32 ft x 16 ft vinyl liner in ground pool || sta-rite modular media P150 cartridge filter || .75 HP whisperflo dual speed pump
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit. || Dohney's Discovery Robot

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

I think the fact that you are on TFP gives you your answer. Jblizzle has it all but (9B) putting the water in the pump basket to get it to prime. It also depends on who closed it and what pipes they disconnected or possibly removed or lost any o rings. Save yourself the $300 and do it yourself. It's not rocket surgery ��.

9. Back To Top    #9

I can do a lot of DIY for $300 and change!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

10. Back To Top    #10

If the plumbing is still intact, and not just in boxes somewhere, it is pretty straight forward to do. Ask questions as they arise.
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, Jandy Proflo 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

11. Back To Top    #11

My pool company charges 175.00 for opening and I always open in March so I get a $50.00 credit for early opening. They are here less than 25 minutes. They take the cover off and fold it up and put it in the bag, put the returns back in and turn the pump on. I do my own chemicals.

Closing costs $169.00 and they are here about the same time. They blow out the lines, put the gizmo in the skimmer, remove the returns and cover the pool. I have the pool ready to close so they are in and out.

All chemicals are extra if they need to use any and they never clean the cover.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s300i robot, Raypak 406k Heater.

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

Bski224:

Did you have your pool opened by the company?

Opening is easier than closing. Here at TFP, we can guide you through the opening and closing. If you have not paid yet, please post pictures of your equipment pad and describe how many main drains, returns, and skimmers you have. We will guide you through the rest.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

13. Back To Top    #13

Hey guys, yes pool company did it. It worked out ok. Yes it was a waste of $250 they took money off because I said NO CHEMICALS and also the fact they didn't need to take a cover off. One hot tub jet was not working so they conged that as well. Basically I will be doing opening from here on out. Thanks for all the feedback!!

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Basically I will be doing opening from here on out. Thanks for all the feedback!!
    Yes, you will. The satisfaction you will get from saving that kind of $$$. Please take a picture of your equipment pad so I can describe the closing procedures as well. I know the season just started, but the sooner you prepare, the easier the task will be.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013