Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Flexible pipe repair

1. Back To Top    #1

Flexible pipe repair

IMG_7121.jpgHello everyone…

I am seeking help on how to repair a flexible return line. When we bought the house a year ago this pipe was left partially exposed. Now we are about ready to open the pool after replacing the pool pump and we noticed that there is now a hairline crack in this flex line. Is this something we can just cut out and hard pipe? Is there any special coupling for a flex to hard pvc?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks ~A
    20x40 Painted Concrete Pool* Approx 40,000 gallons* Pump - Pac Fab Challenger 1.5 hp* Filter - Pentair NSP 48sf DE filter Stainless Steel Tank* Filter Valve - Pentair side mount 1.5 multi-port valve SM10-2DE* Equipment inside Pool Shed* Test Kit Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Flexible pipe repair

Just regular pvc-to-pvc connector. Just cut out and replace with either rigid or flexible. No special connector for the Flex. But flexible is a tiny bit smaller so make sure to use the glue liberally for a good seal.

If your in a pinch right now for cracks like that I often use a 2-part, high pressure, Marine epoxy and then do all my cutting out on holidays. It's rated for 2000-3000 psi and generally lasts the whole pool season.

23K gallon, vinyl liner, 1hp pump, 300 lb sand filter, Fafco solar panels, jandy lite 2 heater, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Just X2ing what Flingaling said. Clean it up, cut it into and use a standard PVC coupling on it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

What about that flex seal tape they advertise on late night TV?
    40 year old pool, 35k gal w/spa, gunite replastered July 2016, Hayward Sand filter, Hayward 1.5 hp single speed pump, TF-100, Kreepy Krauly suction side cleaner Dolphin M400

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Fingaling and Bama Rambler...Makes perfect sense...I just didn't want to cut it out and mess myself up. Greatly appreciated!
    20x40 Painted Concrete Pool* Approx 40,000 gallons* Pump - Pac Fab Challenger 1.5 hp* Filter - Pentair NSP 48sf DE filter Stainless Steel Tank* Filter Valve - Pentair side mount 1.5 multi-port valve SM10-2DE* Equipment inside Pool Shed* Test Kit Taylor K-2006

6. Back To Top    #6

If you are used to rigid PVC but never glued flex, also be aware it likes to "back out" of the fitting more than rigid, so hold it in the fitting longer to be sure it set.
    Scott
    15,000 Gallons vinyl in-ground screen enclosed, Hayward Eco-star SP3400VSP, Hayward Aqua Logic PL-Plus, Hayward T-15 Salt Cell, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Polaris 380 with booster pump, Hayward heat pump HP50HA. K-2006 kit.