Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Outdoor TV help please

1. Back To Top    #1

Outdoor TV help please

Hi All,

Noob here building an outdoor covered pavilion near a pool. Im looking for a tv to be mounted under cover. Option include the expensive outdoor tvs vs a regular indoor tv for a fraction of the cost. I live in NJ so have definite winters. I was looking for opinions on just get a regular tv and replace in a few years and still save money or go with the outdoor versions from sunbrite or sealoc.

Thanks in advance.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Outdoor TV help please

We are in the desert, but have always used standard flat screens. We are going on year 5 with the current one. You could always take it down in the winter.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

3. Back To Top    #3

Yea the outdoor tvs are so expensive. Definitely go with a standard. I just picked up a Vizio 4K 70" for $650 last Black Friday.

Brian - UNDER CONSTRUCTION: 17K gal SW Gunite IG. 17'x23'(w/shelf)x34'. 650sf. 114' perim. 3.5'-5' depth sports pool. 7'x11' sun shelf, 6'x8' spa. Intelliflow VSP, IC60 SWCG, CC420 filter, 4 LEDs (2 Globrite and 2 Intellibrite). Hayward 140K BTU heat pump. Pentair EasyTouch 8 automation. Ivory travertine deck. 8"X16" travertine coping. NPT lightwaves Aquamarine spa tile and marker tiles. Undecided on plaster/pebble finish.

4. Back To Top    #4

Yep regular tv. Or consider a screen and projector depending on the size of your space. Quality projectors are really all in the real. Of the larger flat screens these days.
    IG 16 x 50 Gunite. 3.5' - 9' depth 37,400 gallons 146LF perimeter and 863 square feet, 3 skimmers, 3 Pentair LED lights, 2 main drains, 6 pool returns, 1 vacuum line, 1 Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump, 7x7 Spa attached with 1 Pentair LED Light raised 15 inches and 6 HydroAir Jets, 2 HP blower, Pentair DE60 Filter, Pentair Intellitouch I-7 w/Wireless remote, Pentair SWG 400k BTU Heater, Glacier Chiller. My 2015-2016 build thread.

5. Back To Top    #5

Ditto on regular TVs outside under cover. We had one out there for 4ish years. Year round. Moved it inside last year and got a bigger one last fall.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

The only thing I would suggest is plan out viewing angles. Even under our covered patio, our led tv has a ton of glare in the late afternoon when the sun is lower. Aside from the life of the tv being shorter in the elements, the glare is really the only other downside.

Brian - UNDER CONSTRUCTION: 17K gal SW Gunite IG. 17'x23'(w/shelf)x34'. 650sf. 114' perim. 3.5'-5' depth sports pool. 7'x11' sun shelf, 6'x8' spa. Intelliflow VSP, IC60 SWCG, CC420 filter, 4 LEDs (2 Globrite and 2 Intellibrite). Hayward 140K BTU heat pump. Pentair EasyTouch 8 automation. Ivory travertine deck. 8"X16" travertine coping. NPT lightwaves Aquamarine spa tile and marker tiles. Undecided on plaster/pebble finish.

7. Back To Top    #7

also consider using some of the water proof spray for electronics. I use some spray on my RC plane parts to keep the electronics from frying when flying float planes and it works pretty good

Never tried a TV but I would test a cheap TV when the time comes ...

CorrosionX is the stuff the RC guys swear by

Maybe just use it for vulnerable connections ...
    Doug - Purchased 1/2016, 1995 house with 16x31 ft, ~23000 gallon Gunite pool w 11x7 spa, 3 Pentair VS pumps, a boost pump for polaris 3900 and a BaduŽ Jet super-sport swim jet pump, 1.5 hp blower, a CL460 Cartridge filter. TF-100 test kit. Aquapure SWG, iAqualink - Lots to learn. New Aquabright, Jandy LEDs, CMP LED Sheers.

8. Back To Top    #8

Same here on standard TV for 5 years on same unit.
    It is under a covered porch mounted near the roof /wall.In fall I take down and store in garage.
    If concerned about rain blowing sideways on windy storms you can get a TV cover, I bought one but rarely use it.Brand name " CoverMates"
    I am sure that the humid summer days and the combination of dust in the air cause some sort of slow death for these things, but at roughly $200 compared to $3000 isn't worth it.
    Plus with the expensive one, you would be inclined to keep it forever and it will be so out dated you might not even want it anymore.
    Doughboy AG 16' x 32' oval, 13,700 gal.
    AquaView by Doughboy 150lb sand filter model 0-1709-20
    PowerLine pump by Doughboy model 0-3047-200, 1.5hp-single speed-20amp
    Gulfstream electric heater-HE125-R-A
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

on my previous home i had a 40" tv for 4yrs under the patio, i bought a tv cover from best buy for around $40 on sale, the cover worked good, even though the rain couldn't get to it, you will have have those moisture days or real heavy fog days so it helps... some how some of the connections will get start getting rusty cause of the moisture but mine still worked, we moved out and i installed it on my sons room and it only lasted like 3months inside before it went out lol... ended up buying a 55" led, off brand from walmart from a friend of ours that was moving out, bought it cheap for like $200, this is the second year with it outside under the patio and no cover and still working fine..., i didn't buy the cover cause i was suppose to do a custom tv cedar cabinet for it, but you know how thats goes...just haven't gotten to it yet lol
    2016 pool build.... 18k gal. freeform style, built in round table, 18" jumping platform, travertine coping upgrade, travertine waterline, peagravel decking, saltwater pool (no spa), Quartzscape blue., 1.5hp Pentair pump, JANDY SWG, 48sqft Pentair DE filter, TFP-100 kit w/speedstir MYPoolBuild

10. Back To Top    #10

My TV has been up for 4 years now outside under cover. Its a 50" LED from Walmart.

The only thing i do is cover it in the winter.

Never had a problem with moisture, freezing or dust, only an occasional bee trying to make a mud nest in the back.

Its in South Jersey
    Dough Boy 12' x 24' Oval
    Wedding Cake Steps
    1500 SF Timber Tech Composite Decking

Video of my pool and retaining wall....Above Ground Pool Ideas - YouTube

11. Back To Top    #11

You guys are awesome. Probably saved me a ton of money. Thanks for all your help. Ill go with a regular TV and use the savings on the grill (a whole different topic). Thanks again.

Bridgewater, NJ. IG plaster/gunite 850 sq ft. Free form. Pentair Intelliflo VS+SVRS with Pentair Quad DE 100 Filter. Spa on Hayward 6060 booster pump. Water feature on Pentair Whisperflo 1.5hp, water slide on Pentair Whisperflo 2hp. Heater Pentair MasterTemp 400. SWG TBD. Completed 7/2017.

12. Back To Top    #12

I have a Sanyo 40" LCD that has been outside (under cover) 24/7 365 for over 7 years. No need for an expensive "outdoor" HDTV.

13. Back To Top    #13

Only thing I'd really worry about is making sure you get a tv that's bright enough -- lots of indoor tvs (and most projectors) don't show up well in full sun. Putting it under a pavilion or cabana should help a lot. We have a basic indoor LG LCD that we use outside. Works well enough under the pavilion, but put it in direct sunlight and you can't see much. Neighbor has a proper outdoor tv that is much brighter in full sun, but it cost 10x mine. Not really worth it, IMO.
    30k gal IG SW gunite pool, 4-8' deep w/ 16" baja shelf; Ocean Blue PebbleSheen; well water (resin softener); Hayward Pro-Grid 7.5 lb., 60' D.E. filter; Hayward TriStar VS filter pump; Hayward TurboCell T-15 SWG; AquaCal TropiCal heat pump; Hayward OmniLogic automation, Colorlogic lights (2 large; 2 accent); Polaris cleaner w/ booster pump; TurboTwister slide (gray granite); 5' rock waterfall w/ second Hayward TriStar VS pump; TF-100 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

I go buy refurb TVs on Amazon or something like that. 1/2 the cost of a new one. You can get some good deals on them. I expect to last only 2-3 years, then replace with another one. You will buy 12-14 of them for the price of 1 outdoor TV.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

IG Tile/Concrete Pool - 12,000 gal or so, Targus Sand Filter, Pentair single speed pump
    IG Tile/Concrete Spa

15. Back To Top    #15

Got a 60 inch plasma off craigs list for $200. Works great
    6,000 gal, IG free form,Beach Series Antigua by Marbletite Pebble finish,Sheer Descent, IG Fountain, Dolphin / Mermaid Statues,Dura- Glas 1.5hp pump,Hayward Pro-grid DE4820, Aqua Rite SWG with T-Cell 15,Heat Siphon Heat Pump DX 5.0 109,000 btu, Pool Cage, 1800sq ft Tremron Estate Pavers,Aquatherm Ecosun Solar Panels 192 sq ft with GL-235 Controller,Pentair IntelliBrite, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer Our New Poolbuild, Jacksonville, FL yr 2009 Solar install Outdoor kitchen upgrade