Outdoor TV help please

Nov 8, 2016
Bridgewater, NJ
Hi All,

Noob here building an outdoor covered pavilion near a pool. Im looking for a tv to be mounted under cover. Option include the expensive outdoor tvs vs a regular indoor tv for a fraction of the cost. I live in NJ so have definite winters. I was looking for opinions on just get a regular tv and replace in a few years and still save money or go with the outdoor versions from sunbrite or sealoc.

Thanks in advance.

The only thing I would suggest is plan out viewing angles. Even under our covered patio, our led tv has a ton of glare in the late afternoon when the sun is lower. Aside from the life of the tv being shorter in the elements, the glare is really the only other downside.

also consider using some of the water proof spray for electronics. I use some spray on my RC plane parts to keep the electronics from frying when flying float planes and it works pretty good

Never tried a TV but I would test a cheap TV when the time comes ...

CorrosionX is the stuff the RC guys swear by

Maybe just use it for vulnerable connections ...

Same here on standard TV for 5 years on same unit.
It is under a covered porch mounted near the roof /wall.In fall I take down and store in garage.
If concerned about rain blowing sideways on windy storms you can get a TV cover, I bought one but rarely use it.Brand name " CoverMates"
I am sure that the humid summer days and the combination of dust in the air cause some sort of slow death for these things, but at roughly $200 compared to $3000 isn't worth it.
Plus with the expensive one, you would be inclined to keep it forever and it will be so out dated you might not even want it anymore.

on my previous home i had a 40" tv for 4yrs under the patio, i bought a tv cover from best buy for around $40 on sale, the cover worked good, even though the rain couldn't get to it, you will have have those moisture days or real heavy fog days so it helps... some how some of the connections will get start getting rusty cause of the moisture but mine still worked, we moved out and i installed it on my sons room and it only lasted like 3months inside before it went out lol... ended up buying a 55" led, off brand from walmart from a friend of ours that was moving out, bought it cheap for like $200, this is the second year with it outside under the patio and no cover and still working fine..., i didn't buy the cover cause i was suppose to do a custom tv cedar cabinet for it, but you know how thats goes...just haven't gotten to it yet lol

My TV has been up for 4 years now outside under cover. Its a 50" LED from Walmart.

The only thing i do is cover it in the winter.

Never had a problem with moisture, freezing or dust, only an occasional bee trying to make a mud nest in the back.

Its in South Jersey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Only thing I'd really worry about is making sure you get a tv that's bright enough -- lots of indoor tvs (and most projectors) don't show up well in full sun. Putting it under a pavilion or cabana should help a lot. We have a basic indoor LG LCD that we use outside. Works well enough under the pavilion, but put it in direct sunlight and you can't see much. Neighbor has a proper outdoor tv that is much brighter in full sun, but it cost 10x mine. Not really worth it, IMO.

I go buy refurb TVs on Amazon or something like that. 1/2 the cost of a new one. You can get some good deals on them. I expect to last only 2-3 years, then replace with another one. You will buy 12-14 of them for the price of 1 outdoor TV.

CorrosionX - Awesome stuff. Used it on my boat for years (until I sold the boat) - salt water environment and never had to replace a corroded electronic. If you are going to leave the TV outside, I recommend this stuff. It leaves a residue, so - if I was going to do it - take the back cover off the tv, give the internals a light spray and then put the cover back on.

That said - I wouldn't leave a 'normal' TV outside unless it was well protected by roof/walls. I had a TV mounted on my covered deck at the last house, but driving rain could still reach the wall of the house that the tv was mounted to.

I used a quick mount so I can quickly remove the TV and bring it in when not in use. This is the one I have.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001SDBVCE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One side of this mounts to the TV, the other bolts to your wall mount. I unplug the power and HDMI cable, lift the tv off - takes about 45 seconds. When I setup the outdoor TV at my current home, I will use the same mounts. If you are interested, here is the mount I use:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UNR0DCA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Got a 60 inch plasma off craigs list for $200. Works great:cheers:

I bet that was fun mounting.... plasmas weigh a ton, I actually sold my LG 60" Plasma for $250 on CL not too long ago. I have a 60" Sony LED on my patio for the last two years all year round under a cover, it works perfectly and it was extremely light. Still pretty far to watch TV in the spa unfortunately tho. From the pool, you are fine.

I bet that was fun mounting.... plasmas weigh a ton, I actually sold my LG 60" Plasma for $250 on CL not too long ago. I have a 60" Sony LED on my patio for the last two years all year round under a cover, it works perfectly and it was extremely light. Still pretty far to watch TV in the spa unfortunately tho. From the pool, you are fine.

Yes it weighs about 118 lbs. we had to get our Nextdoor neighbor to help up mount it. He is in the navy and has big muscles. Wish I got an led screen however the 60 inch plasma is nice and the wife likes it too[emoji2]

I have used indoor TV's on my patios for the past 6 years with no issues at all In the winter I put on the cover and use it unless there is an above normal high temp. When I purchased the TV I even told the folks at Best Buy where I was going to use it (they said not a problem) and purchased a Square Trade warranty. Since I have had no issues I would skip the additional warranty in the future. Mind you I'm in north Texas so winter is much milder than your location. As for placement, consider if there will be any direct sunlight, blowing rain or snow? My placement eliminates those factors.

Well mine failed after about 6 months

Half the screen lost brightness - I dont see where it got wet but Im assuming it was weather related

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.