Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help Identifying Valves

1. Back To Top    #1

Need Help Identifying Valves

Need some help identifying valves on a new build I "inherited". Pool has not been filled yet. Pool has a spa, two skimmers, bubblers on tanning ledge. I assume those on the left are for the skimmers, bubblers and cleaner? Main concern is identifying drains and what the smaller PVC on the far left is for.
    IMG_0039.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need Help Identifying Valves

The pipes in front of your pump all "pull" water from somewhere - the skimmer(s), spa, main drain, etc. It's just a matter of closing them one at a time (if not marked) to see which one it effects. Now the tall stack of pipes going down into the ground on the left are your "return" pipes to things like (spa, bubblers, return jets, water feature(s), etc. Same principle in that you have to turn a valve a little at a time to see which product it effects. Once you find out, mark the pipes for future reference.

Oh ..... and WELCOME TO TFP!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick response! Any idea what the smaller pipe on the left is? Doesn't seem to be connected to anything and assume it isn't part of the main system since my pressure has remained the same and it is only capped with a piece of duct tape.

4. Back To Top    #4

Any idea what the smaller pipe on the left is?
    I'm honestly not sure. Maybe one of the other folks here will have an idea. I'm drawing a blank.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

What's it attached to?

23K gallon, vinyl liner, 1hp pump, 300 lb sand filter, Fafco solar panels, jandy lite 2 heater, TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Put the details of your pool in a signature. It will help us to answer some of your questions. The thin pipe sealed with Duck tape is possibly an air intake for spa jets.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

7. Back To Top    #7

I wonder if that isn't supposed to be the air intake for a spa blower?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

It could also be just a chase way for an air switch at the spa to turn the blower on and off. My PB installed one before we upgraded to automation (it's just cut off at the ground now) - it would have had a tube in it to operate the on/off for the air blower.

Can you post another picture with more of the top of the equipment. There is a 2" pipe that sneaks through those on the return side - it goes to the back of the pad, then somewhere we can't see - is that perhaps an air blower?
    Greg -
    11K gal, IG Pebble Sheen (Aqua Blue) with sun ledge and attached spa, Pentair Intelliflow 3050 VS/SVRS (3HP), Pentair ET 8 with Screen Logic, Pentair Racer with 3/4 HP booster pump, 400KBTU Pentair Mastertemp, Pentair 60 sq ft DE filter, J&J Intellibrite LED in spa, Zodiac Nature 2 (not used), Stenner pump/liquid Chlorine, build completed in August 2015

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks for the responses. Also, added my pool specs in signature. Her is a picture of all the equipment. Spa blower has not been attached yet because the system is still pressurized so it is capped.

IMG_0040.jpg
    Last edited by cowboy22; 05-11-2017 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Wrong Pics
    Inground 15' x 30', rectangular, depths of 3.5' x 5' x 4' with 7' x 7' spa in pool. Jandy 2 HP Variable Speed, Zodiac 1.5 HP Blower. Polaris 280, Pentair Quad 60 DE Cartridge Style Filter, Hayward 400 DP Propane Heater.

10. Back To Top    #10

Which leads me to another question. I know the pipes on the left are a return and the vacuum, but there are two on the right and looking at the plans, I see a return but not sure what the other on the right hand side would be.
    Untitled.jpg
    Inground 15' x 30', rectangular, depths of 3.5' x 5' x 4' with 7' x 7' spa in pool. Jandy 2 HP Variable Speed, Zodiac 1.5 HP Blower. Polaris 280, Pentair Quad 60 DE Cartridge Style Filter, Hayward 400 DP Propane Heater.

11. Back To Top    #11

I think if I was in your shoes, I'd figure out a way to map out each pipe.

The suction ones would be easy... open the pump basket and stuff a garden hose into the inlet pipe and work the various valves to see where water spits out inside the pool. Or compressed air. Or a shop vacuum used either as a vacuum or as a leaf blower.

The return ones might be do-able with air pushed in from the pool end and have a helper work the valves to figure out which shuts off which and also run around feeling for air to see which ones are linked.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    I think if I was in your shoes, I'd figure out a way to map out each pipe.

The suction ones would be easy... open the pump basket and stuff a garden hose into the inlet pipe and work the various valves to see where water spits out inside the pool. Or compressed air. Or a shop vacuum used either as a vacuum or as a leaf blower.

The return ones might be do-able with air pushed in from the pool end and have a helper work the valves to figure out which shuts off which and also run around feeling for air to see which ones are linked.
    That sounds like a good idea. Everything is currently capped and the system is pressurized for starting. Would that affect trying it out that way?

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy22 View Post
    That sounds like a good idea. Everything is currently capped and the system is pressurized for starting. Would that affect trying it out that way?
    Unfortunately, yes. There's no way to see the flow.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Unfortunately, yes. There's no way to see the flow.
    Probably should have added, theses have been capped for over a month and pressure has stayed right at 21 PSI the entire time so obviously no leaks. Crew is coming Tuesday to plaster. I assume they keep everything air tight to be sure of no leaks so would it be OK to uncap the lines and try your suggested method?

15. Back To Top    #15

After a bit of poking around, I may have figured a couple things out. First, I was mistaking a vacuum port for an autofill port! So the ports in the pool are the two returns, an autofill port and the vacuum. Which may answer my other question regarding the smaller PVC pipe by the equipment which I am now going to assume is to be hooked up to my water for the autofill. Getting closer to figuring all this out!

16. Back To Top    #16

Getting there. How will you operate the air blower for the spa? You adding automation? Is there a switch of some kind near the spa? The good news is the pressure that the plumbing has held for the many days.

Should be an interesting story about how you "inherited" this pool that is partially built.
    Greg -
    11K gal, IG Pebble Sheen (Aqua Blue) with sun ledge and attached spa, Pentair Intelliflow 3050 VS/SVRS (3HP), Pentair ET 8 with Screen Logic, Pentair Racer with 3/4 HP booster pump, 400KBTU Pentair Mastertemp, Pentair 60 sq ft DE filter, J&J Intellibrite LED in spa, Zodiac Nature 2 (not used), Stenner pump/liquid Chlorine, build completed in August 2015

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by GDN View Post
    Getting there. How will you operate the air blower for the spa? You adding automation? Is there a switch of some kind near the spa? The good news is the pressure that the plumbing has held for the many days.

Should be an interesting story about how you "inherited" this pool that is partially built.
    Good question. As far as the story, this was a fixer upper a family member got in over their head on (but it looked so easy on TV!). In looking at the blower, there is no automation. It is wired directly to a dual timer box (looks like one timer controls the booster pump and everything else on the other). Suggestions? Or will the blower be running every time the pump is running? I also noticed the pump is wired into the timers but also has a small control pad that looks like it came with the pump.

18. Back To Top    #18

And yes, there is a switch near the spa. I just checked and there are three switches. I'm fairly certain two are for the pool light and spa light. Third possibly controls the blower?

19. Back To Top    #19

It would be hopeful that the third switch is for the blower so you don't have to go all the way to the pad to turn it on and off. Also do you have any waterfalls or other features? If not, what is the booster pump for? Possibly a pressure side cleaner?

On the wiring of the main pump, is the main pump a variable speed? You noted it has it's own control panel, if so it is likely a variable speed pump which should get power all of the time, then you control when the pump comes on and at what speed through the control panel built in. The air blower would not be on the whole time the pump is on, only when you want bubbles in the spa.
    Greg -

20. Back To Top    #20

It would be hopeful that the third switch is for the blower so you don't have to go all the way to the pad to turn it on and off. Also do you have any waterfalls or other features? If not, what is the booster pump for? Possibly a pressure side cleaner?

On the wiring of the main pump, is the main pump a variable speed? You noted it has it's own control panel, if so it is likely a variable speed pump which should get power all of the time, then you control when the pump comes on and at what speed through the control panel built in. The air blower would not be on the whole time the pump is on, only when you want bubbles in the spa.
    Can't tell you how much I appreciate the help. You are correct regarding the pump. It is a variable speed. My concern was that every time the timer kicked the equipment on that the blower, assuming it had no switch, would come on. But to your point, looks like the pump is controlled by it's control panel and not the dual timer. Also, there are no water features. Looks like the booster pump is for the pressure side cleaner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast