25% Hypochlorite

belgique

LifeTime Supporter
Even though I was weakening because of the thought of having to haul gallons of bleach from Wally World everytime we went to town, I scored big time. Happened to see a business supply place in town today. Went in and asked if they sold bulk bleach. They said how many zillion gallons you want?

Bottom line is got 15 gal of 25% Hypochlorite Solution in a DOT approved carrier for $2.49 per gallon :party:. Now this will be an easy way to keep up with it (except when we go out of town and I may have to go with pucks then.

I then went to the pool store and didn't buy anything but hoses and DE. And, the green MAY be turning to blue.

I have never seen 25% sodium hypochlorite offered for sale in any quantity. The highest concentration you ever normally see is 18%. If you did find 25%, it's shelf life will be measured in hours at room temperature. 18% only lasts a couple of days. 12.5% is good for a month, or perhaps a bit more.

JasonLion said:
I have never seen 25% sodium hypochlorite offered for sale in any quantity. The highest concentration you ever normally see is 18%. If you did find 25%, it's shelf life will be measured in hours at room temperature. 18% only lasts a couple of days. 12.5% is good for a month, or perhaps a bit more.

I don't pretend to understand how this could be and have trouble understanding why they would sell a product that exceeds it's shelf life before I could get it home or how they could get it from the plant. But I failed High School chemistry. I'm still happy.

JasonLion said:
If you did find 25%, it's shelf life will be measured in hours at room temperature. 18% only lasts a couple of days. 12.5% is good for a month, or perhaps a bit more.
I think it's not quite that extreme; chem geek once referenced this chart which only goes up to 20%, but even so it says 20% at 90F has a half-life of about 3 weeks. At 80F or less I'd guess 25% would have a half-life of around a month.

It wouldn't be worth 25% for that long of course, maybe a week if you're lucky. But still pretty potent.
--paulr

Granular chlorine will contain either CYA or CH, depending on what kind they are selling. That can cause problems, raising your CYA or CH level too high. The granular products do have a longer shelf life, but their other disadvantages are more significant.

It's not 25%. I know Coastal and their supplier. It is either 12.5% or 10%. BTW, they are a very good company...I'm sure they didn't represent it as 25% intentionally. Probably an ill-informed employee or a misunderstanding.

The label should confirm this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.