Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool build in DFW area

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool build in DFW area

I've enjoyed looking at all of the new pool builds so I thought I would share mine that was just completed a few weeks ago. I made a complete time lapse video of the build from start to finish that you can see here http://youtu.be/tvE0asERQZs
    Now time for landscaping. Anyone have input on palms here in the DFW area that are best suited for this area?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16X36 freeform 20k IG Plaster; Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Pentair Intelliflo 2VST, Pentair Boost-Rite LA-MS05, Pentair FNSP60 DE filter, 6 returns, 2 skimmers, 7x12 tanning ledge with 2 bubblers, Pentair 5G LED light with Intellibrite Controller. Polaris 280; Time Lapse Video

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: New pool build in DFW area

Welcome to TFP! Thanks for the cool time lapse video! I really enjoyed it - good music, too! I think the decking was my favorite - looked like they were rolling out carpet. Lol!!! Who were the 'consultants'? The occasional young one must have been giving the youth perspective (which is usually expensive!)

As for landscaping, I don't know a thing about palms. I'm sure there will be others along soon who can help. You can do a search on tfp at the top of this page or use Google. Be sure to add the landscaping to your time lapse video!

Good looking pool!! I look forward to seeing how you landscape those wide open spaces!
    Suz
    Suz~Cypress/Houston area~ My 2015 Pool Build. 24K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy; color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. TF-100, SpeedStir

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Hey Crawfish, here are a few links with palm information (along with other plant suggestions) from members near and around your area.

This one also includes a couple of good tips on fertilizer for palms.
    Windmill or Florida Sabal Palm for Dallas

This link mentions other DFW area plants that work.
    North Texas plant suggestions

Some good photos of plants (some not so great). I like how the guy did his drip irrigation to his potted plants.
    North Texas landscaping ideas needed

A link for a palm chart from an old thread for palms in and around Dallas.
    http://dallaspalms.com/images/hardyp...20ProTools.htm

There are more links when you search on TFP, but maybe these will get you started.

Be sure to check plants and palms for toxicity. Some can be harmful for pets and kids.

Have fun shopping for palms!!
    Suz~Cypress/Houston area~ My 2015 Pool Build. 24K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy; color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. TF-100, SpeedStir

4. Back To Top    #4

Awesome! Thanks Suz!!! I will check these links out.
    16X36 freeform 20k IG Plaster; Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Pentair Intelliflo 2VST, Pentair Boost-Rite LA-MS05, Pentair FNSP60 DE filter, 6 returns, 2 skimmers, 7x12 tanning ledge with 2 bubblers, Pentair 5G LED light with Intellibrite Controller. Polaris 280; Time Lapse Video

5. Back To Top    #5

Great video, thank you for sharing!

Kevin, TFP Believer & Supporter
    (Yup, I drank the pool water)
    13.5K gal, 24' Round AG Vinyl, TF-100 Test Kit
    2HP Waterway Pump, 200 SqFt Hayward Element Filter
    Recommendations: Pool School, TFTestkits & Pool Math

6. Back To Top    #6

That was an awesome video! We are in the plumbing stage of our pool build. How long did the whole build take for you?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by liliacaldwell View Post
    How long did the whole build take for you?
    We lucked out on great weather and it only rained once that was enough to delay the build a couple days. I believe when it was all said and done it was 6 weeks.

8. Back To Top    #8

That is AWESOME! The pool looks so great!
    Under Construction- Chlorine, Freeform 26x36, 16 gallons, depth 3.5-7 feet, flagstone coping, water wall with stacked stone, jumping ledge, 12x8 tanning ledge, 28-foot seating ledge, spray deck with flagstone inlays, Pentair 2.5 hp pump, and cartridge.

9. Back To Top    #9

Hey Crawfish, I'm over in The Colony (by Plano) we have two large palms (Not sure the type) that have drippers under my deck to keep them hydrated. We cover the trunks in fabric during the winter, but so far they're hardy. They do drop stuff in my pool, and need annual cleanup (trim dead fronds, knock off seed growths, etc) but they're pretty easy and so nice to hear in the wind.

See the pic, you can see how much dead I have to cut off, now that spring is here. But about an hour or two a year ain't bad.

Great lookin setup! Learn the TFP method and you'll be a happy camper (as shown in my pic on the fence )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    15k in-ground pool, plaster, Aquapure 1400 (whole new cell/cables/sensor 5/25/15), Pentaire Cartridge filter, Ruud heater(2/13), Polaris 360 pressure side cleaner (10/14), some other stuff...

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for sharing about the palms and the pic! Those look awesome!

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm pretty sure the palms in the picture are very mature windmill palms. Hard to tell in the picture. Windmill palms are your best bet. They are slow growers. But can withstand temps down to almost 0 without being wrapped. Do not buy Mexican fan palms unless you plan on wrapping them up really good for the winter. And you don't mind a bunch of die off. We planted a Mediterranean palm about a month ago. They are supposed to be cold hearty too. Regardless of what a nursery may tell you, Mexican fans are not cold hearty.

19,600 Gallons, 34'x24' Cloud Shape, 3.5'-6'-4', 2 Skimmers, 4 returns, natural gray plaster, Oklahoma Flagstone, NPT Silverstone Ocean Blue waterline and maker tiles, Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE Filter, Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, Pentair EasyTouch 4, Pentair Intellibrite 5g Color Led light, Polaris 280 cleaner, 1.5 ton moss rock waterfall, 785 sq. ft. exposed aggregate deck, and mosaic crab on bench, TF-100 Test Kit