New home owner with pool -- not sure why Zodiac G3 cleaner is just sitting?

May 10, 2017
Tampa, FL
Hi there! Hope I am doing this right. We just moved into a home with a pool. We followed the instructions to install the Zodiac G3 vacuum but it just sits at the bottom of the pool. Seems like there is not enough suction? We installed it where the skimmer basket is. Any ideas on what needs to be done? I have no idea how to adjust suction or if this is even possible. Including pictures of the pool equipment. Hoping someone can educate me on what each pipe and valve corresponds to.

Please let me know any additional details or photos that would be helpful.

We're very excited to have a pool and hope to become pool pros! Thank you in advance for your time and knowledge.

Shannon

Attachments

• IMG_0270.jpg
    IMG_0270.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0274.jpg
    IMG_0274.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 28
Working left to right, you have suction(closed) suction (open) and suction (open) Then 4 returns, open, open, closed, closed.

Try closing each of the open suction valves individually. One of them will direct all the suction to your cleaner.

I'd experiment with those valves and figure out which goes where and label them with a magic marker or something.

Is that a hot tub up top, or a splash pool? I'll call it a hot tub for now.

Pipes on left side are coming from your pool, and are pumped into your filter. Just guessing, but the first valve may be the hot tub drain (off), and the second two are probably from the skimmer and a main drain of your pool. Guess just based on proximity to each other, but that could be wildly wrong. I would verify each valve and label the pipes accordingly so you remember - you should be able to feel the suction of each when on/off, or there's also some type of dye that you can use.

Pipes on right side are going back to your pool and hot tub after being filtered. You should be able to experiment with these more easily to see which valves correspond to which return.

For the cleaner, first verify your system pressure (dial on filter). Do a backwash/rinse, and see if the pressure goes down. Next, verify you get suction by using your hand on the skimmer - you should be able to feel it. If so, then attach the hose back. If the problem is not enough suction, then you can close the main drain to allow more pressure from the skimmer.

Next, go over to the pump and make sure it's still running and hasn't lost its prime. If it sounds really rough or clearly has a big air gap, there was likely a lot of air in the hose when you attached it. Next time, you can submerge part of the hose first to ensure not as much air gets in the system.

If the pump is running fine and starts pumping water, next step is to inspect the hose. Pull it up out of the water a bit at a time, leaving the cleaner in the water. You should be able to feel the water moving inside the hose, and there should be no leaks in the hose.

Hopefully, it's something simple like this on the plumbing side. The unit itself could also be damaged, though I'd suspect that's rare (not a ton of parts in these things).

Thank you both so much! Just understanding what each tube/valve corresponds to is super helpful. I will try closing off the other suction valve and see if it impacts.

i do hear the pump working and then pausing. Work, pause, work, pause. Sounds like too much air in the hose. I will disconnect everything and then try again. Will report back. :)

i noticed on one of the pool walls a hole that is capped. Could this be another suction line that I should have plugged into instead of the skimmer? Is there a preferred method?

thanks again

Yep, if that sound is coming from the pump then it doesn't have suction. Does it work ok once you remove the hose, or can it still not get going?

The capped hole could be either a dedicated cleaning port or another return. You may have to experiment here. Unfortunately all the plumbing is underground so it takes some guesswork! Skimmer should be fine for now as long as the hose fits properly, but it will be a nice feature if it is a cleaning port.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.