Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I hate Weeds!

1. Back To Top    #1

Angry I hate Weeds!

So as I was vacuuming my pool today, I noticed this leaf kind of floating around at the bottom. I attempted to vacuum it but for some reason, it would not come up. So I reached down to grab it when I discovered it was attached! A WEED! had grown up through my liner into the pool! Ugh!

So while I am recovering from my liner-eating, weed-induced panic attack, I would like to know:
    1. What is the best way to patch the bottom of my pool without draining all 19328 gallons of TFP beautiful water? Please post links to the recommended patch kit.
    2. How does one go about preventing this from happening in the future? I already have rocks on weed fabric around the pool.
    3. Is this a common problem?

Bad enough to have weeds in your flower beds, but weeds in your pool. That is just not right!
    19328 Gallon Above-Ground Pool. Clean&Clear Pentair Cartridge Filter. Opti-flo 2 Stage 1.5hp Pump. Dolphin Nautilus Plus "Flipper" Robot. Established April 2016. Taylor K-2006. Chlorine Based. 340gallon Marquis Spa. Bromine based. Established 2007.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: I hate Weeds!

I guess putting your pool on some kind of foundation (too late now, right?) would prevent weeds. But, I did have to recently patch the bottom of my pool (the water temp was 40 degrees). I prepared the kit and used my feet to put it in the right spot. I used several patches as it was a big hole, I was cold, and never wanted to do it again. You can get just about any pool underwater patch kit off Amazon-almost all of them work underwater just fine.

3. Back To Top    #3

I love this brand! Some times you can even find it at Home Depot!

https://www.amazon.com/Boxer-859-Adh.../dp/B000JONXF6

Cut the patch in a circle. You can even do a little one with a bigger one over it.

Good luck!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

wow that is crazy. I used that geotextile floor pad under my liner. I guess if for some reason you ever replace the liner I would use that.
    Gallons: 5000 Gallons
    Pool: 15' Saltwater 5000
    Filter: Pentair 1 HP Optiflow Pump w/ Clean & Clear 75Sq Ft Cartridge Filter
    SWG: Intex CS8110

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    I love this brand! Some times you can even find it at Home Depot!

https://www.amazon.com/Boxer-859-Adh.../dp/B000JONXF6

Cut the patch in a circle. You can even do a little one with a bigger one over it.

Good luck!

Kim
    Kim,

I ordered the patch. You mentioned a large patch over the small patch. Is there a reason to patch it this way or will one patch be enough?
    19328 Gallon Above-Ground Pool. Clean&Clear Pentair Cartridge Filter. Opti-flo 2 Stage 1.5hp Pump. Dolphin Nautilus Plus "Flipper" Robot. Established April 2016. Taylor K-2006. Chlorine Based. 340gallon Marquis Spa. Bromine based. Established 2007.

6. Back To Top    #6

Mostly so that even if the edges on the BIGGER patch rough up a little it still seals the edges of the smaller patch-------and it's twice as thick.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Holydoc View Post
    A weed had grown up through my liner into the pool! Ugh!
    What the what what??!! I'm sorry to hear this happened to you and I hope you were able to patch it. What type of base did you use under your pool? If sand how deep?
    15'x30'x52” 12K gallon Wilbar Discovery/Innovation Resin AGP buried 2’ w/ wood deck. Hard plumbed Pentair 1.5HP 2SP Dynamo pump, Pentair SD40 sand filter, Pentair iCHLOR 30 SWG
    500 gallon spa w/ ozonator using Dichlor/chlorine. TF-100, Taylor K-1766, & Speedstir. Dolphin S100 "Flóki". My 2017 Build Thread
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool Supporter! // AmazonSmile: You shop. Amazon gives.

8. Back To Top    #8

We just had sand placed under the pool. It was probably around 1 inch at the most. This is our first pool so I am learning.

9. Back To Top    #9

I had good luck with the basic patches included with Intex pools in the past. Lightly scrub around the area to be patched. Cut a small piece of patch vinyl, larger than the hole. Apply glue to the patch, fold it over onto itself and dive underwater. Don't unfold until the very last minute under water and press against the hole. I like to squish it with my heal to press out the water from under the patch as best I can. Don't leave your heal on the patch too long, or it'll glue itself to your foot! Ask me how I know.
    The Pool Factory Melenia 30'x54" Round semi-inground pool 25ga overlap liner
    Hayward SP15922S Power Flo Matrix 1hp 2-speed pump
    Hayward DE3620 Progrid 36 square-foot vertical grid DE filter
    Hayward SP0710XR50 Pro-series Vari-flow backwash valve
    ~22,000 gallons

10. Back To Top    #10

Did you spray nutgrass killer on the site before you put down any sand or padding?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!