Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plaster Repair, and stain removal while draining pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Plaster Repair, and stain removal while draining pool

I'm in the process of draining my pool per the recommendations in this previous thread: New pool owner really high CYA and CH what should I do

Draining the pool has made me realize that the "weird spots" on the stairs are plaster damage that will spread if I don't repair them. Is this something that I can fix myself or should I call in a plaster company to fix it?
    Attachment 60732
    There are two spots like this on the stairs that I would want to repair.

Additionally I have some staining around a couple of my return jets, and gray staining all over the pool. Any advice on what it is and how to remove it?
    Attachment 60734IMG_6153.jpg
    Thanks,

Ryan
    18,000 gallon IG Plaster cartridge Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 1 speed pentair pump original build in the 60s not sure when remodeled. Testing with Taylor k2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plaster Repair, and stain removal while draining pool

My guess is calcium scale. Is it raised and rough?

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling
    And here, Pool School - Pool Stains
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    My guess is calcium scale. Is it raised and rough?

More here, Pool School - Calcium Scaling
    And here, Pool School - Pool Stains
    It is actually very smooth, I'm not sure if it's raised, in fact it may be slightly lower. I tried a spot acid wash with 50/50 water and muriatic acid, then brushed it. That didn't really do anything to the stain.
    18,000 gallon IG Plaster cartridge Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 1 speed pentair pump original build in the 60s not sure when remodeled. Testing with Taylor k2006

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, we'll need to see some test results then on that. The last few sets of test results would be best.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach