Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Here we go again

1. Back To Top    #1

Here we go again

We have had 15 or so inches of rain, a busted filter hose and now my pool is a lovely creamy green. I am waiting for the silicone to cure on the hose then I am going to hit it with TONS of bleach. My CYA is 30 so how many gallons should I need to bring it to shock level? The pool is 10K gallons, give or take.
    I am actually going to have to let water out before I do anything.
    Hurricane Rita did not kill me, but she killed my pool!

Intex 36'X18'x52" "elliptical pool"/ Hayward 220 filter/1HP pump 14,364 gal, or so

2. Back To Top    #2

edbson,
    With cya 30, you need 12.5 ppm minimum free chlorine. For your 10,000 give or take pool, that would require 266 oz of 6% bleach, or 160 oz of 10% chlorinating liquid, or 133 oz of 12% chlorinating liquid. If you let water out and then refill, you will reduce your cya.
    Poor Man's Pool
    Doughboy 18 ft round above ground
    7600 gal with center drain
    Pentair sand filter, 1 HP pump
    50 ppm borates
    "I know just enough to be dangerous"
    Pool Calc Ver 1.41 (Excel)

3. Back To Top    #3
    Thanks for the input!@

I have to let out several inches of rain water, Have been letting it out pretty regularly all week. Thanks for the info, I have several gallons of 10% bleach( was on sale)so I will use that. I am not at all sure what my FC is right now, it is still raining so I am going to wait a bit to test.
    Hurricane Rita did not kill me, but she killed my pool!

Intex 36'X18'x52" "elliptical pool"/ Hayward 220 filter/1HP pump 14,364 gal, or so

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by edbson
    Thanks for the input!@

I have to let out several inches of rain water, Have been letting it out pretty regularly all week. Thanks for the info, I have several gallons of 10% bleach( was on sale)so I will use that. I am not at all sure what my FC is right now, it is still raining so I am going to wait a bit to test.
    I hear you on the rain. I've had 25" in the last 12 weeks. I probably should have noted that the amounts of chlorine I mentioned would add 12.5 ppm free chlorine to whatever free chlorine was already present. But you probalby already knew that 8)
    Poor Man's Pool
    Doughboy 18 ft round above ground
    7600 gal with center drain
    Pentair sand filter, 1 HP pump
    50 ppm borates
    "I know just enough to be dangerous"
    Pool Calc Ver 1.41 (Excel)