New to forum, and currently drowning trying to maintain my pool

Talena

May 9, 2017
Peoria/AZ
Hi, my name is Talena. I have been a pool owner for 3 years now. I am a single mom of two kids so I thought hiring a pool company to maintain the pool was the best option. I have never been more wrong! Long story but I had to drain my pool last night and I am currently trying to clean it so I can refill this afternoon.

Hi Talena and welcome to the TFP forum! :wave: Stick with us and we'll help you out. If you've been on our sit before, you know the first thing we ask is, "How are you testing your water?" SO if you don't have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit on its way, I would make that step #1. The money it takes to order either kit will save you in time, money, and headaches form all the other resources combined. If you can swing it, consider the magnetic speedstir as well. It really help with mixing the tests.

Please review/save the vital links below in my signature. Once you get the water level to the skimmer, let us know and we'll be happy to help with advice. Nice to have you with us.

I will order one now. I drained my pool because I had two different companies come look at it and both said it needed to be drained. Then I took the water to the pool store for testing and they told me the same thing. I live in Phoenix, AZ so I am on a short time line before it has to be filled. Tomorrow the temp is supposed to be 95. I am looking for help on the best way to clean the pebble tec before I refill the pool. I have lost the paper i wrote all of my chemical levels on. I know I was dealing with a lot of mustard algae. What is the best way to clean the pool? Should I use muriatic acid on the pebbletec?

I was stationed at Luke for about 7 years (lived in Glendale), so I can relate to the temps and hard water. :sun: More than likely, you received the recommendation to drain based on a high CYA (stabilizer) and/or high CH (calcium hardness). Those are two items that can only be lowered by exchanging water. Unfortunately, the products the pool store (and used by pool companies) increase those very levels. With TFP you won't have that happen again.

As for cleaning the pool, I wouldn't waste too much time. If you need to fill it, ... fill it. Once you have the water up to the skimmer, we'll show you how to add the proper amount of stabilizer (CYA) and FC (Free Chlorine/bleach) to keep the water clean. If there's a chance of residual algae in the pool/plumbing (which is very likely), we'll help you through a SLAM (link below) which is the process we use to eliminate algae. We'll also help you to adjust pH, TA, and CH as needed. All very easily done with the TF-100 and some local store products from a place like Wal-Mart.

If your pebbletech was only stained from the algae, don't pour acid on it. The bleach, once the pool is full again, will take care of that. If you have some other pebbletech concerns, let us know and we'll have a stone expert look at your concerns.

New! Help drained pool last night becasue of chemical issues mustard algae.

I drained my 35-40K pool last night because I was told the water was beyond fixable. I cannot find the sheet I wrote the chemical levels on. I had mustard algae growing. I am currently trying to clean it out before refilling it, I just dont know what to clean it with. Is bleach better or should I use muriatic acid?

Re: New! Help drained pool last night becasue of chemical issues mustard algae.

Bleach is the sanitizer. Acid just controls ph. Not sure of dilution for the bleach, but somebody here will or you can search the forum for the correct dilution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You definitely want to get your pool refilling asap. Drying plaster will be much more problematic than the mustard algae outbreak. Did you do a complete drain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have algae, you are going to need to SLAM the pool once it's refilled. Do you have one of the recommended testkits yet? If not, I'd recommend the TF-100 with XL option. It provides more reagents for the tests you will do most. And if you can swing it, also get the Speedstir as it makes testing easier and more consistent/accurate.

It may be best to rinse down the pool walls - from the top down - and remove all the water from this washing. Then start your refill. During the refill - especially while the sun is shining on the pool - keep the walls and floor damp. You can use a hose for this or set up a sprinkler to do it. If possible, use multiple hoses while refilling as it will make the process go a bit faster.

Have you had a chance to read through Pool School yet? The principles of our recommendations are all contained there. We are all more than willing to help you out - but you will need reliable test results from your own testkit (either the TF-100 or K2006C). Pool store test results and advice will not align with our recommendations.

Oh, and we love pictures. Take a few now and post. Add others during your journey to your TroubleFreePool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.