SWG for hot tub - good idea?

Maestro

Silver Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Cape May Court House, NJ
I have had a guy offer to sell and install a salt water generator for my hot tub. Does anyone out there use one? Are you happy with it?

I haven't seen any good pictures online of how they look installed. Does it just hang over the side and plug into an outlet or is it installed internally and connected to the hot tub circuitry? If it's the former, do I have to have a professional install it or can I just buy one and hook it up myself?

I love the one I had installed for my pool last year, but I'm not sure I'm sold yet on having one for the spa.

I've been wanting to get one for my spa for quite some time... I just keep putting it off. I've heard good things about it. You could easily install the plug-in type yourself. Integrating into your hot tub wiring is also doable DIY depending on your comfort level with it.

Do some research here: Spa Chlorine Generators

The hard part of an SWG in a spa is that they are very good at delivering slow, steady doses of chlorine. PERFECT for a pool. However, spa chlorine demand tends to swing wildly. When running clean and unused, minimal demand. When you have 4 people in there sweating and spilling beer ;) , HUGE chlorine demand. SWG in a spa certainly has it's place but I would say that you still need to plan on shocking/elevating FC level manually after a soak.

I have also been wanting to add an SWG for years to take care of the day to day FC level. +1 to still adding bleach after a soak. A few folks have added the Saltron Mini to their tubs and it seems to work great.

Is there any reason to be worried about salt and the pumps/heater/etc in a spa? I contacted the manufacturer of mine, Caldera, and they declined to say whether there would be any issues. Heck, I'd love to add salt just to make the water nicer on the skin.

Hot springs offers a Salt system option thats called ACE.. It's pricey with a street cost around $1400 & a cell life expectancy of 2/3+ years @ $600.
I have read mixed owner reviews about the system as well as some have found posts about replacement cell's etc at lower costs
Ive have reviewed training videos were they state 1750PPM is their sweet spot

The ACE system seems to work well from what I've read and is great for people who don't have time to check their water all the time. It also leaves the water a bit softer feeling. But it is a pricey option on both up front costs and ongoing if you have to replace stuff every 2-3 years. If you use the tub daily and can check your water frequently, the methods described in this forum sticky are easy and cheap to follow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.