Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG for hot tub - good idea?

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG for hot tub - good idea?

I have had a guy offer to sell and install a salt water generator for my hot tub. Does anyone out there use one? Are you happy with it?

I haven't seen any good pictures online of how they look installed. Does it just hang over the side and plug into an outlet or is it installed internally and connected to the hot tub circuitry? If it's the former, do I have to have a professional install it or can I just buy one and hook it up myself?

I love the one I had installed for my pool last year, but I'm not sure I'm sold yet on having one for the spa.
    22K 16'x40' inground fiberglass pool, Hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand filter, Hayward dual speed 2 hp Super II Pump, Hayward AquaRite SWG, Raypak 400K btu propane heater, Dolphin Supreme M400 cleaning robot, CoverPool auto cover. Also stand-alone Sundance Hawthorne 430 gallon hot tub.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG for hot tub - good idea?

I've been wanting to get one for my spa for quite some time... I just keep putting it off. I've heard good things about it. You could easily install the plug-in type yourself. Integrating into your hot tub wiring is also doable DIY depending on your comfort level with it.

Do some research here: Spa Chlorine Generators

The hard part of an SWG in a spa is that they are very good at delivering slow, steady doses of chlorine. PERFECT for a pool. However, spa chlorine demand tends to swing wildly. When running clean and unused, minimal demand. When you have 4 people in there sweating and spilling beer , HUGE chlorine demand. SWG in a spa certainly has it's place but I would say that you still need to plan on shocking/elevating FC level manually after a soak.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

I have also been wanting to add an SWG for years to take care of the day to day FC level. +1 to still adding bleach after a soak. A few folks have added the Saltron Mini to their tubs and it seems to work great.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Is there any reason to be worried about salt and the pumps/heater/etc in a spa? I contacted the manufacturer of mine, Caldera, and they declined to say whether there would be any issues. Heck, I'd love to add salt just to make the water nicer on the skin.
    Maryland
    18000 gallon plaster pool, Pentair Triton II sand filter, Purex Triton Minimax Plus 300 gas heater, 1.0 HP two-speed Pentair Superflo, Polaris 380
    Caldera Marino hot tub, 360 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

No risk there. Would be fine for normal SWG levels (up to about 3500 ppm)

Sent from mobile device. Beware of brevity and grammar errors!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

6. Back To Top    #6

Hot springs offers a Salt system option thats called ACE.. It's pricey with a street cost around $1400 & a cell life expectancy of 2/3+ years @ $600.
    I have read mixed owner reviews about the system as well as some have found posts about replacement cell's etc at lower costs
    Ive have reviewed training videos were they state 1750PPM is their sweet spot
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

7. Back To Top    #7

The ACE system seems to work well from what I've read and is great for people who don't have time to check their water all the time. It also leaves the water a bit softer feeling. But it is a pricey option on both up front costs and ongoing if you have to replace stuff every 2-3 years. If you use the tub daily and can check your water frequently, the methods described in this forum sticky are easy and cheap to follow.
    2012 (late install) 20x40 inground Oasis steel pool with vinyl liner. Pentair DE Filter with Whisper Flow 1HP pump and Pentair 400K BTU heater.
    2016 Marquis Promise Spa (2 pump model)