Found this in my filter - help

Staci

Sep 12, 2016
Clover, SC
We decided to deep clean the filter after reading and watching the video on here (thank you for that) We bought the house in August and by the looks of the cloudy grossness coming out of the filter looks like it was never done, old homeowner said he changed the sand 2 yrs prior to selling the house but who knows. Anywho... we found this little gadget as soon as we started ... it just floated up to the top once we disturbed the sand a little. Any idea what it is and is it essential for the workings of the filter??
Thank you :)

Sorry to be the one to tell you this, but you're going to have to empty it out again and reinstall that piece. Otherwise, you have an opening the size of that tubing somewhere inside where sand can pass through to end up in the pool.

What brand is that filter? It should be easy to find an exploded parts diagram.

Sorry to be the one to tell you this, but you're going to have to empty it out again and reinstall that piece. Otherwise, you have an opening the size of that tubing somewhere inside where sand can pass through to end up in the pool.

What brand is that filter? It should be easy to find an exploded parts diagram.

Unfortunately it has no markings on it.

Maybe post a pic of the filter? We may be able to recognize it.

It looks like this one, but its bigger...

https://www.amazon.com/Sand-Master-Ground-Filter-System/dp/B007B2SY8A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494435505&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=sandmaster+sand+pool+filter&psc=1

I'm assuming that is the brand. "Sand Master"

Now the head of the valve snapped off, do they sell the replacement part in a pool store or elsewhere? I was looking at amazon for the part that you called it and come up with nothing... Thanks

I know the pics below don't match exactly to what you have, but it's just to give you an idea. See item #13 on the B&W photo, and how it is secured to the center stand-off tube in the color photo. The tube connects down low to either a lateral or the assembly (hub) they connect to. Then the free end with the screen goes up and above the sand. That's why Richard mentioned you would need to remove the sand to see where/how it disconnected.
Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

yup, we removed all the sand and decided since it was out (and yucky with all kinds of stuff in it) we decided to put new in. We found where it attached and reattached it, but as mentioned above the head of it snapped off - weatwha :(.
do they sell the replacement part in a pool store or elsewhere? I was looking at amazon for the part that you called it "internal air relief tube" and come up with nothing.

the head of it snapped off - weatwha
Oooh! :hammer:
There are replacement air relief tubes. Not sure about just the top cap/screen though. You might try contacting some of the on-line supply stores like PoolSupply, Inyopools, or any other resource. They may have a way of ID'ing that filter as well. At the very least, at least you got it reconnected at the bottom. :goodjob: Protecting the top can be done one way or the other. Even if you have to do a make-shift screen/cover, or splice another new tube to your existing one. Maybe some other viewers will have an idea or two as well.

Here is one example: https://www.amazon.com/Pentair-154578-Strainer-Replacement-Fiberglass/dp/B0034EHIVS While this particular strainer is for a different filter, it's the same concept. You might do some searching and find one that is the same size as the tubing you currently have installed.

And another link: https://www.acepools.com/products/170028?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=685051167&gclid=CLSp44v35dMCFchefgodChIFUA

Aaannnnnd another: Jandy Filter Breather Tube Assy - R0358700, Fits CL/CV/DEL/DEV

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
:goodjob: Protecting the top can be done one way or the other. Even if you have to do a make-shift screen/cover, or splice another new tube to your existing one. Maybe some other viewers will have an idea or two as well.

My husband tried to drill out the snapped off part and re glue the shaft back to the screen/cover with PVC glue it didn't work :( We will find something or figure it out how to make a make shift cover/screen. thanks for the info.

Another question and hopefully my last :rolleyes:, will we need to backwash initially after filling with new sand?

My husband tried to drill out the snapped off part and re glue the shaft back to the screen/cover with PVC glue it didn't work :( We will find something or figure it out how to make a make shift cover/screen. thanks for the info.

Another question and hopefully my last :rolleyes:, will we need to backwash initially after filling with new sand?

Start by backwashing for at least 2 minutes, then rinse until the sight glass is clear.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.