Rubber washer on pump shaft - is seal failing?

smankins

Bronze Supporter
Feb 10, 2017
Longview / Texas
Yesterday I noticed what appears to be a rubber washer spinning around on the shaft of my pool pump between the motor and the impeller housing. Is this normal? I don't know why that would be there unless something is loose in a seal. There is no water dripping but I would like to go ahead and fix this if it could be a future problem. This new pump has only been in service, typically 8 hours per day on low speed, for about a month and a half. It is a Pentair 1 HP 2 speed pump. The pump is not making any noise and still has a very strong flow to the pool even when on low speed. The pump was on when the pictures below were taken. Thanks for any insight.

34441762821_13de6169a9_c.jpg

34572092805_20cf4bf6fa_c.jpg

Nope that is a part that is supposed to be there. It's called a slinger and its job is to keep any water that leaks past your seal from traveling down the shaft and into your motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.