Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liner leak detection options

1. Back To Top    #1

Liner leak detection options

Hi all,
    I'm 99% sure I have a liner leak in my inground pool as I have not opened the pool yet and the water is still below the plumbing. I am losing about a 1/2 inch per day. The water level seems to stop at the same place each time(about 6" in shallow end. I did the dye test and found nothing. My question now is do I hire the special electronic leak detection company at $500 or the pool guy/diver for $250. Pool guy says they have a guarantee for 1 week post. I will have to get the bulk water delivery guy in also as both want the pool open.
    Thanks in advance.
    Bluegirl
    28000 gal in-ground, vinyl liner, Hayward Sand filter, 1 hp Sta-Rite pump single speed , TF-100 test kit, Sunheater solar heat, Hayward 250,000BTU heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liner leak detection options

Tough call for me not having been there, but with the gurantee, I might be tempted to try the kess expensive option.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

Liner failure is likely. I just had a similar experience last October when I noticed water loss with no signs of any leaks. After the pool was closed by my builder on Oct 26 with Meycolite Mesh Cover by the end of Nov I noticed
    the water had dropped to bottom of first step. Thankfully, they returned and found a small opening in the new GLI Liner seam (glue failed?) evidenced by the debris accumulated around it at bottom step wall area. They quickly patched it to hold over the winter. A new liner was installed this April 8. I am so grateful I have excellent rebuttable builder -Swim King Pools Rocky Point N Y. My reward for my through research before hiring my pool builder accepting there is more to a pool than price. Good luck.
    14,800gal S W Concrete Vinyl, Pentair IntellifLo VS, Pentair FNS 48 DE, AquaCal Auto Pilot,
    AquaCal SQ166R Heat Pump, Cover Pools Auto Cover. installed new in March 2016

4. Back To Top    #4

I opted for the diver to come in. He found 9 holes in total. Now we have a pool liner with chickenpox.
    Bluegirl
    28000 gal in-ground, vinyl liner, Hayward Sand filter, 1 hp Sta-Rite pump single speed , TF-100 test kit, Sunheater solar heat, Hayward 250,000BTU heater.