Where to start?

StG

May 10, 2017
Gilbert, AZ
Hi,

First post:). I'm sure this info has been posted many times before, but still trying to read up on this forum.

So I'm currently refilling my pool from tap, and was wondering where to start chemistry-wise? I have a test kit on order, and in the meantime have some of the aqua chek 7 way test strips...but assuming the FC/CC/CYA are all zero, should I try to add CYA and then shock my pool first? Or should I try to make sure the pH/TA levels are stable first? Do you adjust one chemical at a time, or is it okay to (for instance) adjust CYA and TA at the same time (if needed)? Thanks!

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: You have the basic concept down, but we'll keep it very simple until your kit arrives:
1. Add stabilizer (CYA). Use the Poolmath calculator to increase CYA to about 40-50 (your choice) as I expect temps are picking-up over there. Use the sock method and squeeze the sock often to help dissipate.
2. On day one of filled water, use the calculator (again) to figure out how much regular bleach to add for a Free Chlorine (FC) level of about 3ppm. After the stabilizer has dissolved, you can increase (best as you can using the calculator) the FC to about 5 mark - never letting it drop below 3.

By then you should have your test kit. When it arrives, run a full set of tests and post back. I suspect your CH may be a bit elevated, but that can be controlled via pH and TA. You'll want pH in the mid-7s for now. If TA is over 120 or so, we can give you tips on how to lower that as well. Use/save the vital links below in my sig. They'll come-in handy.

Nice to have you with us.

Well, I guess one good thing about filling up my pool is that I now have a very good idea what the actual volume is - my estimate was way off!

So I added 4lb of 100% CYA and 128oz of 10% bleach and re-tested the water after 18 hrs. I think the #s look good - any that may be suspect testing so soon after adding the bleach/CYA?

Also, seems many here test for FC/Ph daily or every other day. What do you guys do when you're away from the pool - i often take 4-7 day roadtrips? TIA!

FC 4.2ppm
CC .2ppm
CYA 38ppm
ph 7.6
TA 90ppm
CH 200 ppm

I would get your FC to 5.0-7.0 range using bleach. I would also recommend getting your Calcium up to around 220 - 350. Everything else looks really good. I would call your CYA 40...for purposes of using the CYA/Chlorine chart.

As for vacations (not familiar with them personally) or extended days away from the pool you can have a trusted friend or family member add chlorine, carefully use Chlorine pucks, or invest in a Stenner pump (getting one as we speak),

What method are you using to sanitize?

Liquid Chlorine? SWG?

Liquid Chlorine.

Thanks for the advice - will add some more bleach tonight & aim for FC 5-7. I was hoping not to add anything for the CH, as the water is hard here & evaporates quickly. Do you think that will be okay for now?

Also, how much bleach do you normally keep on hand? I understand it doesn't keep for long, but it looks like I will be going through a lot of it this summer:(.

I remember someone else using manual liquid chlorine put a set of containers of LC, and then had a neighbor stop by each day and add the container full. Made it easy for the outside help.

The other approach I've seen is what I've named the poor man's stenner. You use the negative pressure side of your pump, connect a piece of tubing, then a flow control valve, then to a 5 or so gallon can of liquid chlorine. the flow control stops the vacuum from sucking the chlorine out too quickly. This solution seems very tricky to get set up, but I can find some posts that show how to do it if you like. Of course the stenner will wind up being easier to get the right amount of FC each day. Also easier to adjust.

Oh, and about the CH, I have pretty low CH now for the same reason as you; I expect it to climb due to evap. SO... I'm keeping my TA high and my pH a little high [7.7]. But my CSI is approximately -0.2.

Interestingly, my pH is sticking at 7.7 with no addition of MA despite an SWG and these numbers.

From memory I think I have these numbers:

pH 7.7
TA 130
CH 200

So since it is not broke, no need to fix it. These numbers are staying remarkably stable by the way. I am literally just checking pH and FC once or twice a week. Otherwise I don't touch it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.