Cautionary Tale of a Pool, Fed Up, Frustrated, Lost & Sinking In The Deep End!

Hey all you pool guru's... Guess what! You will never guess... yep... another one of "those guys" desperately seeking assistance in transforming my cloudy aqua-bomb into something... anything, that is presentable to my friends and family! So please, sit back, grab your favorite refreshing beverage, and be prepared to listen to my cautionary tale of woe. I warn you, descriptions presented in this tale may not be for the faint of heart, young children, or those of you blessed with a relationship with a higher being.

Background- My wife and I decided to take the dive, and after 8 years of renting, and we decided to buy a house. Glorious Home Ownership! The standard that means you have finally made it into the realm of financial adulthood! We weighed the pro's, con's, and other determining factors on what we wanted, what was in our price range, and what certain factors we were looking for in the long term. We looked at multiple houses and nothing seemed quite what we wanted. And then... out of the blue, a small looking Cape Cod on a dead end street with older retired families! As we drove down the street, we was greeted by a couple of young boys riding their bicycles down the middle of the street. WOW! Our kids can finally be able to ride their bikes and not worry about getting hit by a speeding maniac who pays no attention to speed limits! So we check out the house, and its PERFECT! It has a fully functioning man-cave style basement, large backyard, five bedrooms, enough for our kids, the wife and I, and a spare bedroom for company...and to be honest, one of the best selling points (TO ME) is that it has an in-ground pool! I mean, come on, who doesnt LOVE a pool right? After talking to the owner, negotiating a price, and getting ready to close here on the 18th, Im needless to say, extremely EXCITED! The previous owner allowed us to move in a couple of months early, and of course with the swing towards nice weather (for Wisconsin, anything above 30 degrees is nice) I decided I wanted to open the pool.

The pool is a 35x15 oval with a depth of 8-9 feet at the deep end, with sloping sides, a diving board and a slide. It has been winterized for 3 years straight, so I knew I was going to be in for some sludge/swamp/bayou looking water, but even knowing this, I forged ahead and pulled the tarp two weeks ago, and took a look at what I thought wasnt a so bad situation. It was green, and there was algae, but it didnt look all "that bad". So, with the tarp pulled, I proceeded to net out all of the debris, carcasses, worms, frogs, leaves, tree buds, pool noodle, what could most definitely have been Jimmy Hoffa, or possibly the Loch Ness Monster, or even maybe the Creature from the Black Lagoon and various other...well, for no better description..."crapola" that had accumulated over the course of three years. I didnt start up the pumps or anything like that, I just mainly focused on getting the pool clear of all the foreign debris. After spending a few days on this, I managed to get I would say the majority of large stuff out of the pool. So I started working on the floor level of the pool after that. After netting, netting, netting, and netting some more, I managed to get the floor level (what I am going to assume...yeah, "assume") pretty much free and clear of all the algae and crapola that was hiding beneath the depths. Ive literally spent 2 weeks netting and ensuring that I had gotten all the crapola out of it.
So... with the pool clear of leaves & debris as far as I can tell, I turn to, what every Pool newbie does, his not-so-local-to-me pool store for advice on how to open it. (For those if you unfamiliar with the wilds of Wisconsin, everything (and I mean EVERYTHING!) is interestingly enough, at least 25 miles from your current location, no matter where you are in the state...if you need something, the closest one is 25 miles away, its an interesting phenomenon unheard of anywhere else in the continental USA besides Nebraska and the polar tundra of Alaska.) Of course their answer is ..wait for it... "sure we can schedule you in, what week in July looks good for you?" Im thinking to myself.."July...did that crazy teenage kid just tell me July?" So of course my response is.. "Um, thats a non-starter young Sir, because I want to be basking in clear glorious hydro happiness and laying in the sun by the end of May!" But apparently there are so many pools within his aforementioned 25 mile radius, that they will not be able to service my pool needs until quite possibly, 1/3rd of the way thru the pool season. So undaunted, I inquire, what all will I need to service and maintain my pool? Hes pointing to this contraption, that concoction, one of these doo-hickeys, and a couple of these thingamajigs, some of those white chlorine hockey pucks by the 5 gallon bucket full... and Im getting seriously agitated because all im still thinking about is..."JULY". So.. I do what any red-blooded American Man who eats bacon, rides a Harley and wears the uniform of the American Warfighter does.... I kindly thank him for his time, and race back home to get on YouTube. You all know why right? Because all sorts of pool magic can be found on YouTube. They show you thru the magic of time-lapse photography how easy and simple it is to get crystal clear water in the span of a mere few minutes of internet time! What voodoo is this you say? Its true! Ive seen it with my own eyes! Sooooo... there I am, researching, and researching, and researching some more... Im learning this stuff. Im soaking it all in! Soaking it up like a sponge soaks up spilled beer on a cross-country truckers dashboard! Im learning this... that and pretty much after a while, I think to myself with a metric butt-ton of self confidence.. "I Got This." Its right about here that my slide down that slippery slope into H2O-hades (cant use cuss words).. begins.

So I go outside, and take a look at my Vari-Flow 710-x32 series pump with sand filtration system, and I mentally walk myself thru the un-winterizing process. I need to pull the plugs, put the directional water pieces back on. Re-install all appropriate hardware, prime the pump, backwash the filtration system, rinse the sand, clear out the traps, and WHAM-BAM-THANKYOUMA'AM, im gonna have a crystal clear pool after 24 hours!!! I mean... right? Thats how it always works, right... uh-huh.. (Yes... young padawan pool guy... think that if you must, results different you will see..) So.. Im digging thru the red coffee can with assorted pool "thingys" and I manage to find plugs, gauges, and I get to work. Brimming with machismo self confidence that I will be hosting this years Wet-N-Wild Party in the matter of a few measly days, I manage to get everything where its supposed to be. (minus the backflow plug, cant find that one) I hook up a backwash hose, go over to the pool, dip my arm in, pull those pesky winterization plugs, I see the anti-freeze come out of the ports, I assemble to directional jet thingys on there, I clear out the baskets, prime the pumps, and I stand back, ready to watch this pool become my crystal clear Zen space! I fire up the pool breaker, and I am greeted with chug chug chug..glub glub glub..whoosh! and the pool jets start pushing anti-freeze out and the viewport fills up, and away we go!!!! Right about now, the word "smug" doesnt even come close to describing how Im feeling! I know this isnt going to be a instant gratification process, and it will probably take 24 hours, So.. I stand back, I break out my victory dance cigar, a fine vintage can of bud-light, and stand back surveying the backyard pool that shall be my domain for the upcoming summer! The feeling of accomplishment, knowing that I did it myself, and "stuck it to the man" by not having to wait til July, fills me with a sense of pride, accomplishment, and happiness beyong anything I have felt in YEARS! So I go back inside, hit up that trusty faithful YouTube and begin to research what I need to do next!

Chemistry? What in the tarnation is chemistry stuff people are now talking about.. this voodoo PH balance, CYA, DA, DE, Nitrates, Nitrides, Chlorine, Muriatic Acid?!?!? What????? Not only did I not do good at chemistry in high school, that was 30 years ago! Right about now.... panic is starting to set in. But never fear, I got this far, how much harder can it be right? So I slog on, reading, listening, and soaking it all up, trying to make sense of all these crazy formulas, settings, raise this, lower that, SLAM this, test that, MY MIND IS EXPLODING!!.... Right up until that point that somewhere deep down inside of me.. I hear it... that ever so slight "clink". There it is... that fatal sound...The chink in the armor. That fatal moment where I realize, I am out of my depth. You all have been there right? I mean, as a soldier I would never ask my dentist to Breach & Clear a house in Bahgdad, I wouldnt ask my kids school teacher to set a claymore mine, So... why am I not turning to the experts?!?!? You know, that teenage acne faced pasty kid behind the counter who clearly has a fully developed grasp of pool chemistry and the mechanics to make it work. Maybe, just maybe this is something I should entrust to the "experts". So I sit back, and take grasp of the situation. I mean, I just started the filter, so lets give it a day or two, and lets see what it looks like before I go full nuclear option and start screaming "Broken Arrow!" Common sense and situational awareness begins to flow back into me and I calm down, take a deep breath, and "whooosaaahh". It will be okay.

Two days later... My dignity, self-esteem, confidence, and pride are slowly sinking down the drain, unlike all the contaminants that are still currently residing in my pool. Im standing there staring at my pool, and it is the same exact color, that it was when I started the filter system up. Desperation starts to set in. So.. what do I do? Im a combat experienced world travelled college degreed man... So I do what any Filipino-Native American Jew Soldier does... I go to Wal-Mart and hit up the pool section. Yeah yeah... I know...I can hear you all laughing all the way up here in 25 miles away from everything Wisconsin. But my thought process is this... surely the pool guy at WalMart must know about this stuff, I mean, its so specialized, that they probably hire that one person in that particular section, just for situations like this! And with that im out the door racing to Wally World! I go rushing thru the automatic doors so fast I literally knock the pajama wearing gothic eye-liner having teen angst twinkly vampire book reading pseudo-sexual with rings in his/her ears flat on their rear end! OUTTAMYWAYY!! Racing my shopping cart like Dale Earnheart at the Daytona 500 on the final lap... I swing around the corner into the pool area and what do I spy? Some guy wearing a blue vest with yellow letters and I think NIRVANA! Ive finally found the expert in all things aquatic who shall help me in this mission to get my pool ready. Well... theres only one word to describe the end result here. FAIL. Not only did this guy not know anything about pool maintenance, upkeep, or killing algae, he apparently didnt like working at WalMart either and voiced his displeasure multiple times. Soo.. not to be discouraged I start reading the labels. HTC Stage 1..2, 3, 4... Wait a minute, it simply cannot be that simple can it? Surely they are pulling my leg! So I scoop up a bunch of each stage and Im off to the cashier! I get home and start reading labels like a frantic bankrupt alcoholic reading cough drop labels to find out which medicine has the most alcohol in it! And with that, Billy-Boy is up and running again! I start out with Algae killer and look at the reccomended dosage. Right about now im thinking, if such and such amount is to designed to kill off algae, maybe we should go Scorched Earth Policy and triple the recommended dosage! I mean, if a little works, then a LOT will really work!!!! So bam! I triple up the dosage, mix it up and start pouring it in the pool! Once again, I break out my barley pop, and stand back contemplating how long will it take to start working. Well.... for those of you who have never experienced this... lets just say, not more than a few minutes. The next thing I know, Ive got a literal algae bloom happening across the entire top of my pool! Ive got green stuff coming up from the bottom of my pool that looks like it resided on the walls of the HMS Titantic! I mean, this stuff was THICK! Like.. soul-sista thick! Holy ****, so I grab the net and get to work scooping and scooping! After a couple of back breaking hours of scooping, I think its all gone minus the little thin stuff that got thru my net. So I set the pump to filter and head inside the house, not as confident, but not yet willing to give up.

The Next Day- WOW! What a difference a day makes. I come home from work and the first thing I do when I get home is walk into the backyard and look at the pool. Not quite what I was expecting, but there is a noticeable difference! Theres also some more algae floating on the top, so I get to work scooping it off as best as I can! I then decide to backwash the sand and rinse it and see if that helps! HOLY COW, I think it took a few minutes for the water to run clear! But finally it does, I set a rinse cycle and then get it back onto filter. Interestingly enough, the water is clearing up, but its cloudy, really cloudy on the shallow end. I can see the bottom of the shallow end, so that in itself is a tiny victory!So over the course of the next few days, I start the process of getting up in the morning, adding a triple dose of shock ceaning out the traps and going to work, coming home and scooping. I maintain this for about 4 days before I finally come home to nothing floating on the surface! Have I finally done it you say? Have I finally conquered the algae monster? I think I have! About this time, I think its time to start vaccuming the yuck thats on the bottom. So... I go ahead and start looking for the vaccum attachment, which I finally find, its one of those janky ones that attaches to the pole with the hose attaching to it. I start looking and finally find this round attachment that fits in the skimmer entrance hole with a hose fitting on that end. Now... wheres the hose? Ive got hose you see, but its literally 50' of this blue flat hose that I was told is for the waste water. Well, a hose is a hose is a hose right? Wrong again. So there I am, attaching the hose to the vac attachment, and trying my hardest to fill it with water while I run the skimmer. No luck. The hose squeezes flatter than my ex-wife in a training bra. Whats a guy to do? So I quickly run into the house, transfer some money out of my kids college account and the income tax return in savings, and head off to the pool store, determined once and for all to get whateverthehell it is that I need to make this thing work! Well, once I get to the pool store, I meet one of the owners and she and I talk about the situation that Ive got going on. "Well...it could be this"..."old pool sand you say?" No problem, let me buy 150 pounds, I will just change it out with all new sand! "Well....it could also be this here"... No problem, let me buy some clarifier. Or..."well...this too could be your problem"... so after its all said and done, Ive got a pickup truck loaded down with enough chemicals to make an Nazi Prison guard giggle in delight, and Im off back to the house... oh man.. wait, forgot to buy the hose I needed. Lets turn around and drive 25 miles back and go get that.

So $400 plus dollars later, Im standing beside the pool getting ready to wage war on anything and everything that is keeping me from my crystal clear nirvana! I empty out the sand filter, vacuum the sand out, check the laterals, refill with brand spanking new sand, backwash, rinse, and move to the vacuum portion. I unroll the hose, attach the vacuum line, to the round disk thingy, the pole vacuum sweeper thingy, fill the hose with water to prime it, set the skimmer on, turn the main off, and away we go! Success... eh... I guess you could say a little bit. Sure its picking up stuff, but im not really impressed with the results. As I look at the pool, I notice something new... and not good as far as I am concerned. The jets that return water to the pool, are now shooting out brown water. Literally... it looks like a brown fountain shooting into my pool.. So I shut off the skimmer and try to troubleshoot it, but Im drawing a blank. Not sure where the brown water is coming from, or why, but it only happens on when I attach the vacuum line to the skimmer and try to vacuum the yuck on the bottom. So now Im facing a new set of problems. The water was clearing up, but now Ive got sediment and brown water that was shooting into the pool. So I stop running the skimmer set up and turn the main valve on backwash, run thru that cycle, rinse, and back to filter. No more brown water...what gives? So I try the skimmer thing again, and in the matter of a few minutes, brown water again. So I stopped that and went thru the backwash/rinse/filter process again.

So... while you have been reading this, Im sure some of you are sitting there asking yourselves..."why isnt this idiot testing his water and getting his numbers so he can know where he needs them to be?" Well, to put it bluntly, I have no idea where my numbers are supposed to be exactly. I dont have a high speed test kit, and while I am going to buy a better test kit than the one I have, (WALMART HTC For the win!!!) I can tell you all I have currently are test strips, which you dip into a sample bottle of your water and compare it to the colors in the picture. Im going to include a pic down below, maybe if Im lucky, someone will chime in and help me save the day.

So there it is folks, my cautionary tale of a pool noob... frustrated, lost, and at the point I feel like making a skateboard park out of my backyard... which would really suck, because I really want this pool to work. Can you guys/gals here help me?

So here we go with the pics... Tell me what you think!

POOL HEATER

Well that was certainly an interesting read :)

And you have actually made some decent progress in all of your floundering ;)

The first step really needs to be a test kit. And the Walmart HTC is not going to be enough. You need to get one of the recommended test kits that includes the fas-dpd chlorine test. I highly recommend the tf100 from TFtestkits.net

Welcome to the forum.

While I don't particularly trust guess strips, they are showing that your TA & pH have crashed, making for quite the acidic stew. Do NOT run that heater until you confirm with a reliable kit.

You've done a good job clearing the algae so far. Once your proper test kit arrives, we can have you on track to the clearest water you have ever seen, and with NO visits to the Pool $tore.

Have you read through any of Pool School yet? I know it seems like a lot to wrap your head around, but once you get that pool into daily maintenance mode, pool ownership really is a breeze.

Start with these:
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Chlorine CYA Chart

SLAMing Your Pool

Defeating Algae

Pool Calculator Instructions

Now, there are two test kits we recommend, both contain a FAS/DPD chlorine test. They are the Taylor K2006C, and the TF Testkits TF-100.

Test Kit Comparison

The TF-100 really is the best value for your money, and I highly recommend adding in the Speed Stir.

http://tftestkits.net/Test-Kits-c4/

Thanks for posting, nice to have you with us.

Also, since you are still looking at a SLAM, I would suggest selecting the XL option with the TF -100 kit. It adds more of the things you need to check during the SLAM process.

So I stop running the skimmer set up and turn the main valve on backwash, run thru that cycle, rinse, and back to filter. No more brown water...what gives? So I try the skimmer thing again, and in the matter of a few minutes, brown water again. So I stopped that and went thru the backwash/rinse/filter process again.

Was your main drain line valve open during your shocking/cleaning/filtering, before the vacuuming? And/or would you have any idea if a sump was ever plumbed under your deep end...eg if in a high water table? The brown water phenom might suggest there's old ick water somewhere in the system that was closed off and is being drawn through when you vacuum.

Just a thought, and possibly a half baked one.

Do you have a bypass valve on your heater? If so, I'd close that off right now until you get reliable, actionable readings to address the acidity/crash.

Once you have that sorted, and you do a SLAM Process, be sure to filter 24/7 throughout the slam with the drain valve open at least part way to sanitize any gunk.

In really brutal swamp recovery modes, (not yours at this point) people will filter from the skimmer only to avoid clogging the drain initially when you can't see the debris. During my black water swamp recovery, I gradually increased the valve opening of the drain as the debris was repeatedly removed/vac'd etc. you want that high chlorine through every part of the system.

I know you've put a lot of work in, and have been flying blind due to pool store. I just want to tell you that with a kit and this resource, it may well be the LAST time you ever have to do this ;)

I know, because I did THIS once 6 years ago, and have stayed trouble free ever since ;) So welcome aboard!

image.jpg

The write up was incredible!

Keep reading the TFP way and you soon will be there with minimal issues or headaches for a long time to come.

Looking forward to seeing your progress. Oh and congrats on the new house as well.

Get the speed stir! And start out with about 12-20 gallons of 10% pool shock. I live in an area where everything is 25 miles away too, so you just learn to buy extra everything a be prepared:p Where I live, there s a store called Rural King (it's what would happen if Walmart and a farm supply store would have a baby). I buy all my 10% there in the pool section, it's totally cheap and usually on sale all summer long. I buy it by the case. I can get 4 gallons for $7.99. It's a deal!!!

Well that was certainly an interesting read :)

And you have actually made some decent progress in all of your floundering ;)

The first step really needs to be a test kit. And the Walmart HTC is not going to be enough. You need to get one of the recommended test kits that includes the fas-dpd chlorine test. I highly recommend the tf100 from TFtestkits.net

Thanks, and Im glad you enjoyed he read, I tried to make it interesting enough that people would get a laugh out of it and hopefully take enough pity on me to help me out! I will be ordering the TFP reccomended pool test kit this weekend and hopefully be able to get some solid numbers for everyone here to crunch!

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to the forum.

While I don't particularly trust guess strips, they are showing that your TA & pH have crashed, making for quite the acidic stew. Do NOT run that heater until you confirm with a reliable kit.

You've done a good job clearing the algae so far. Once your proper test kit arrives, we can have you on track to the clearest water you have ever seen, and with NO visits to the Pool $tore.

Have you read through any of Pool School yet? I know it seems like a lot to wrap your head around, but once you get that pool into daily maintenance mode, pool ownership really is a breeze.

Start with these:
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry

How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Chlorine CYA Chart

SLAMing Your Pool

Defeating Algae

Pool Calculator Instructions

Now, there are two test kits we recommend, both contain a FAS/DPD chlorine test. They are the Taylor K2006C, and the TF Testkits TF-100.

Test Kit Comparison

The TF-100 really is the best value for your money, and I highly recommend adding in the Speed Stir.

http://tftestkits.net/Test-Kits-c4/

Thanks for posting, nice to have you with us.

Thanks for the reply! Yes, Ive read thru the pool school section til my eyes have been chlorine burnt! Im re-reading it currently to see if theres anything else Ive missed. I plan on ordering the TF-100 kit this friday! Will keep everyone appraised of the numbers as soon as it gets here!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Cautionary Tale of a Pool, Fed Up, Frustrated, Lost & Sinking In The Deep End!

Was your main drain line valve open during your shocking/cleaning/filtering, before the vacuuming? And/or would you have any idea if a sump was ever plumbed under your deep end...eg if in a high water table? The brown water phenom might suggest there's old ick water somewhere in the system that was closed off and is being drawn through when you vacuum.

Just a thought, and possibly a half baked one.

Do you have a bypass valve on your heater? If so, I'd close that off right now until you get reliable, actionable readings to address the acidity/crash.

Once you have that sorted, and you do a SLAM Process, be sure to filter 24/7 throughout the slam with the drain valve open at least part way to sanitize any gunk.

In really brutal swamp recovery modes, (not yours at this point) people will filter from the skimmer only to avoid clogging the drain initially when you can't see the debris. During my black water swamp recovery, I gradually increased the valve opening of the drain as the debris was repeatedly removed/vac'd etc. you want that high chlorine through every part of the system.

I know you've put a lot of work in, and have been flying blind due to pool store. I just want to tell you that with a kit and this resource, it may well be the LAST time you ever have to do this ;)

I know, because I did THIS once 6 years ago, and have stayed trouble free ever since ;) So welcome aboard!

View attachment 60707

I personally dont think its a half baked idea, Im going to try and do the vacuum thing again, and this time just keep running it for a while instead of shutting it off. It very well may be just some icky water in the system and its getting forced out finally since its running thru the heater. I unfortunately do not have a bypass valve on the heater, but as I also said, I havent even started the heater up yet. I am kind of saving that aspect til last.

Im not in a super high water table, I believe its 45-50 feet where I am. I dont think that there was a sump pump put in anywhere near the deep end of the pool either.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I loved looking at the time lapse pics of your pool, obviously you had great luck and I am hoping to replicate that with mine!
I will keep everyone informed to my progress as soon as the pool kit arrives!

- - - Updated - - -

The write up was incredible!

Keep reading the TFP way and you soon will be there with minimal issues or headaches for a long time to come.

Looking forward to seeing your progress. Oh and congrats on the new house as well.

Thank you on all accounts and trust me, I plan on reading every thread here multiple times until its 110% ingrained in my brain!

- - - Updated - - -

That was quite the entertaining read!

Thank you! I try to make things fun, because it life was so serious why bother having a pool right? :)

Re: Cautionary Tale of a Pool, Fed Up, Frustrated, Lost & Sinking In The Deep End!

Get the speed stir! And start out with about 12-20 gallons of 10% pool shock. I live in an area where everything is 25 miles away too, so you just learn to buy extra everything a be prepared:p Where I live, there s a store called Rural King (it's what would happen if Walmart and a farm supply store would have a baby). I buy all my 10% there in the pool section, it's totally cheap and usually on sale all summer long. I buy it by the case. I can get 4 gallons for $7.99. It's a deal!!!

Im still reading up on the speed stir! But I will definitely be stocking up on pool shock as well!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for serving in the armed forces and protecting our country!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the support! Its my pleasure!

The concern here with the heater is if the guess-strips are right, and the water is truly that acidic, you could be damaging your heater and leeching copper into your water by running the pump. Heaters don't tolerate acidic water very well.

I am dying! My ribs hurt from laughing so hard!! DUDE! You got it going on! We will get your pool looking like a jewel! You are well on the way to floating in a pool that looks like a jewel! :sun:

Will you do something for me? Check on line and see if your dear Wally world has the HTH 6 way test kit. It is a itty bitty baby kit BUT it will give us a good PH and TA reading. That will give us a way to see what HAS to be "fixed" NOW!

Stock up on chlorine/bleach while you are there. Make sure to tell us the "story" you tell them about WHY you want/need all of that bleach! hehe

Kim:kim:

Re: Cautionary Tale of a Pool, Fed Up, Frustrated, Lost & Sinking In The Deep End

Good reading indeed. I don't want to nit pick this one statement, but want to clarify.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I loved looking at the time lapse pics of your pool, obviously you had great luck and I am hoping to replicate that with mine!

No luck is involved with the TFP practices. They may not be for everyone, but ANYONE can do it with repeatable success because it is nothing but science. Simple, repeatable, science. I look forward to the transformation of your hydro oasis.

I also appreciate your service to our country.

oh man...gotta follow this ! please take a pic daily from the same spot so we can watch it transform! you are in for some effort to get where you are headed, but you will be so amazed when you get there! AND STAY THERE! welcome to the tfp way of life!

Okay folks, so here I am.... Wouldnt you know, if it wasnt for bad luck, I would literally have no luck at all! So, last Friday at my Army base, Im walking outside and lo and behold, I got taken out by a groundhog IED. Stepped right in that hole and broke my ankle! So things have been a bit hectic here, I did manage to order my " TAYLOR TECHNOLOGIES INC K-2006 TEST KIT " and it should be here bu the middle of the week. Going to go back thru and do some more reading and make sure that I got everything on point, and got what it is that Im looking for as far as needed chemicals. I did manage to buy 10 gallons of walmart bleach and got that on standby. As of right now its a waiting game for not only the pool, but also for that blasted groundhog who managed to get one in on me! Patience is a virtue, and im trying to be patient on this, so will bid my time as I wait for my test kit to get here. Will keep everyone in the loop once I get my numbers! Also, started taking daily pictures from the same spot, but as of right now, nothing has changed due to no chemicals being added!

- - - Updated - - -

The concern here with the heater is if the guess-strips are right, and the water is truly that acidic, you could be damaging your heater and leeching copper into your water by running the pump. Heaters don't tolerate acidic water very well.

I havent even started the heater yet, so not sure if that is good/bad in that case. How could I tell if I have if my water is that acidic, or is that something I need to wait for the test kit to get here to find out?

- - - Updated - - -

I am dying! My ribs hurt from laughing so hard!! DUDE! You got it going on! We will get your pool looking like a jewel! You are well on the way to floating in a pool that looks like a jewel! :sun:

Will you do something for me? Check on line and see if your dear Wally world has the HTH 6 way test kit. It is a itty bitty baby kit BUT it will give us a good PH and TA reading. That will give us a way to see what HAS to be "fixed" NOW!

Stock up on chlorine/bleach while you are there. Make sure to tell us the "story" you tell them about WHY you want/need all of that bleach! hehe

Kim:kim:

Hey Kim, I ran by Wallyword, and no, they do not have the HTH 6-way test kit the last time I was there. I did talk to another poor kid, and asked if he could ask management to order some. I will be running out there again tonight to check and buy some more of that "good stuff".

- - - Updated - - -

^Totally true. TFP delivered me a blue pool in 12 days of shock Er SLAM and awe...I just did what they said ;)

Thank you, and yes, I will be following the SLAM process as soon as the test kit gets here, my goal is to have a crystal clear pool by the 19th! (or Memorial day, whichever comes first!)

- - - Updated - - -

oh man...gotta follow this ! please take a pic daily from the same spot so we can watch it transform! you are in for some effort to get where you are headed, but you will be so amazed when you get there! AND STAY THERE! welcome to the tfp way of life!

Thank you, and yes, plan on daily pics and once my test kit gets here, will definitely be taking those pics!
Thanks for the wonderful welcome!

Reactions: LADYBLUE71

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.