Back wash var pump speed

May 9, 2017
NLR/Arkansas
probably a newbie question... i have a 28,000 gallon pool with the largest pentair sand filter and the pentair var speed pump. The plumbing is 2" on the waste line and 2" on the suction lines.

early spring i was having to back wash every few days from all the pollen and other junk getting into the pool. when i backwash i put the pump at the max speed which i believe is right around 3500 rpm. let it run for around 2 minutes, then rinse for 30 seconds at max speed.

At this speed I feel like I can almost see the fill line in my pool lower by the minute.

For those with var speed pumps, what speed do you typically back wash?

Since you should be turning the pump off when you move the handle on the multi port valve I just let the pump backwash the filter at it's self-priming speed. Shut the pump off again do the same for the rinse cycle. Shut the pump off again then put it back to filter and walk away.

Reactions: Jay_8848
One thing I have found that captures the pollen really well is plain old skimmer socks or nylons if you just can't bring yourself to walk into the pool store. Their cheap and work really well. And yes I can too watch my water line drop when backwashing. I love rain!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When we aren't using the pool I run the pump at 1500 rpm. When we are using it and slide and deck jets are on I go to 2500 rpm
Then I would backwash at 2500 RPM. The higher the RPM, the higher the flow rate and the more embedded the dirt will become.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.