Pool opening today. Help please!!

Mar 29, 2017
Canada,Ontario,Barrie
Hi all

Long story short, we bought this house that came with the inground salt water pool ( 22100 gallons ). We moved in last year in late July. Hired a pool company to closed the pool for us and also purchased a pool safety cover as well.
Today, I hired a different company to open the pool for me. Also purchased a Pentair superflow vs pump as well. When they open the cover, I was shocked because my whole pool was green with a lot of stuff flowing on top as well. Also, there are SO MANY worms!!?? Is that even normal?:roll:
Not really sure what they dumped into my pool after the safety cover was off. I think is some kinda pool opening kit?? Anyway, I've been trying to skim the surface as much as I could. And also had my Polaris robot vacuuming at the same time for hours.... Still, have so much stuff flowing ( like seaweeds ):(
Not sure what to do next? I also did some water testing as well with my Lamotte color pro Q7. And Hach Pocket pro Salinity & Temp tester.
Here are the reading FCL 0.53
TCL 0.72
PH 7.7
ALY 110
CH 182
CYA 13
Salt reading is 3.73 (ppt) & temp is 14.5c

Please kindly direct me what to do next?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Bottom line: You need to follow the SLAM Process.

One issue though is that we do not trust the Color Q and it will not likely read a high enough FC to correctly follow the SLAM process, especially once CYA is in the water. So, you really should order one of the recommended test kits to get started.

Regarding worms: yes, I had a ton of worms in the pool on opening this year. My robot sucked them up. Pretty gross to clean out.

Regarding your chemistry: if your numbers are to be trusted, FC is low as well as cya for a salt pool. Also, something is way off with your salt reading. I don't know if any home use analysis that can read in the parts per trillion. Is your SWG indicating that the salt is okay?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.