Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PH not going down after adding muriatic acid (MA)

1. Back To Top    #1

PH not going down after adding muriatic acid (MA)

Hello

I am trying to lower TA per what I've read on the site. TA is 130 and I'm targeting 110. In my attempt to lower PH to 7.0-7.2, I have added 10-12 cups of MA. PH was 7.5-7.6 before adding MA. After waiting an hour or so, and re-testing PH, there is very little change.

Of note: I've added 1 gallon liquid chlorine today as well as Calcium chloride (25 lbs) to raise my CH level from 150 to 300 ppm. Also, in the summer months PH in my pool always tends to rise requiring frequent MA additions.

I'd prefer to get some input from the forum before continuing to add additional MA.

Thanks
    13000 Gallon, IG, Pebble tech, Hayward Cartridge, Pentair Variable speed, Built in 2000, TF100 test kit, Solar heat, in line chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PH not going down after adding muriatic acid (MA)

Muriatic acid is the weapon of choice for lowering pH and TA. To lower pH from 7.6 to 7.0 should take about 1 quart, 1 cup and 6 ounces of 31.45% strength (about 5 1/2 cups). Any chance you were using the 15% strength sold at some stores?

By the way .... welcome to TFP!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

yes...just under 15% ....14.5% from home Depot. Can you recommend a place to find the stronger stuff ?

along the same topic...I use home depot 10% liquid chlorine....is there a better sanitizer I can use ?

Thanks...and I'm glad to have joined TFP
    13000 Gallon, IG, Pebble tech, Hayward Cartridge, Pentair Variable speed, Built in 2000, TF100 test kit, Solar heat, in line chlorinator

4. Back To Top    #4

If you're at HD, look for this:

If you're at Lowe's look for this:

Otherwise, you can just MA at the local pool store. That's where I get mine.

As for bleach, I just hit the local grocery store for regular/plain 8.25% bleach for about $2.94 a gallon.

Sometimes those MA bottles are in the paint dept at the big box stores.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by drechslerta View Post
    yes...just under 15% ....14.5% from home Depot. Can you recommend a place to find the stronger stuff ?

along the same topic...I use home depot 10% liquid chlorine....is there a better sanitizer I can use ?

I shop for MA (31.45%) at Leslie's in Temecula. If you do the math, they're reasonably cheaper than Lowe's or HD. Just don't let them sell you anything else. I have SWCG but I get the 10% liquid chlorine at Walmart when needed during cold season.

Our city water supply has TA of 125 ppm and CH of 175. I lowered my TA down to 50 ppm and it significantly reduced MA consumption.

Here's what I did to lower my TA https://www.troublefreepool.com/cont...tal-alkalinity

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by drechslerta View Post

Based on another poster's experience, California likes to "protect you" by not allowing Home Depot to sell the more concentrated stuff. This is one item you may want to check a pool store for. Just ignore their attempts to sell you other things. Repeat the mantra "Thank you sir, but I'm only here for muriatic acid today, I don't need anything else." over and over while you're in the store.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

7. Back To Top    #7

Look for private pool stores, not chains stores, for acid and chlorine. In the Long Beach area those stores are cheaper than the big box stores and Leslie's. They buy it in bulk and have refillable containers that make it cheaper.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks all
    good stuff

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
    I shop for MA (31.45%) at Leslie's in Temecula. If you do the math, they're reasonably cheaper than Lowe's or HD. Just don't let them sell you anything else. I have SWCG but I get the 10% liquid chlorine at Walmart when needed during cold season.

Our city water supply has TA of 125 ppm and CH of 175. I lowered my TA down to 50 ppm and it significantly reduced MA consumption.

Here's what I did to lower my TA https://www.troublefreepool.com/cont...tal-alkalinity
    Hi Meadow! meadowview by chance?i live in RedHawk! Was just at Leslie's on 79,today, getting MA! Small work!
    33,000 gal IG plaster 38x18, chlorine,with spa spillover to pool, built 1999, 4 Cartridge filter, Nat Gas Heater, 100% in sun all day-TK-2006 and Speedstir