Automated control done easy

Apr 24, 2017
Tracy, CA
Somewhat related, my lawn sprinkler timer went bad and I replaced it with the RainMachine 8-zone unit. Wi-Fi unit with full phone integration with the ability to support multiple programs and timers. After hookup I had 4 unused zones. The dim bulb lightened up and I thought, how about make my pumps, lights and waterfall a zone of their own and control it with this unit? Within a few days I had my relays in hand and multi conductor wire dug and ran out to the pump pad. It works! I reside in CA and am on a time of use PG&E plan.
6AM to 10:00AM, the high speed pump zone runs
10:00Am to 2:00PM the low speed pump zone runs
7PM to 9PM the high speed zone runs again (usually when I check my Chems)
pool/spa lights I have timed from 8:30-11 Friday and Saturday

if you manually want to run any zone, open your phone and turn it on. I really dig that you can program multiple stage timers to work around peak hours. IMG_1871.jpg

Who woulda thought, sprinkler controllers?! Only thing is finding the relays. Name brand ones are a little spendy, like $30 or so. However, plane old electronic relays that accept low voltage and control line voltage are cheap and easy to find.

For those of us with a superflo pump the control inputs can be wired right to the 24vac relay outputs on the timer board. The superflo pump will accept 5-30V ac/dc inputs for the speed signals. Just wish that darn comm cable for the pump was cheaper, and of course Pentair claims they used a non-standard plug end connector for it.

I'm hoping by the time I'm done I will be able to tinker together a system to remotely operate all of my equipment including a solar controller with automated valve for under 300.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't need or want all the smartphone connectivity so I use an old Rainbird sprinkler timer to actuate my Jandy valves and my CL pump. I got it at a garage sale for a few dollars. Works exactly that way I want and still has three zones open for future projects. The 24VAC transformer on the sprinkler timer directly powers the Jandy actuators so no relays needed. I use a tiny power converter inside the timer box to run the 12VDC peristaltic pump so again, no relay needed. My VSP program handles all the pump on/off/RPM commands. Very few parts and points of failure for low maintenance in the future.

aeb0336a-2efa-40e3-97ce-822042580fd2_1.697939b659037d9020597a257a225aad.jpeg

61ch4n2ViuL._SY355_.jpg

I like the idea of using a basic sprinkler controller to run pumps, lighting, etc... Is there a way to use them with temp probes to do things like control the heater, switch a solar valve if the temp at the solar panels is at a certain point, etc...?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.