Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Automated control done easy

1. Back To Top    #1

Automated control done easy

Somewhat related, my lawn sprinkler timer went bad and I replaced it with the RainMachine 8-zone unit. Wi-Fi unit with full phone integration with the ability to support multiple programs and timers. After hookup I had 4 unused zones. The dim bulb lightened up and I thought, how about make my pumps, lights and waterfall a zone of their own and control it with this unit? Within a few days I had my relays in hand and multi conductor wire dug and ran out to the pump pad. It works! I reside in CA and am on a time of use PG&E plan.
    6AM to 10:00AM, the high speed pump zone runs
    10:00Am to 2:00PM the low speed pump zone runs
    7PM to 9PM the high speed zone runs again (usually when I check my Chems)
    pool/spa lights I have timed from 8:30-11 Friday and Saturday

if you manually want to run any zone, open your phone and turn it on. I really dig that you can program multiple stage timers to work around peak hours. IMG_1871.jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Automated control done easy

Nice! On a side note, you have to share the story of your username.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I want that.
    60K 53 X 23 X 3'-10' IG Grecian Concrete aka "The Beast"
    TF100 XL with Speed Stir
    Dolphin M500 aka "The Beast Master"
    Sta Rite Max E Pro 2 HP - Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter S310T.
    My Pool Thread: Old School Pool

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Nice! On a side note, you have to share the story of your username.
    Maybe he is ace frehley.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I've been working on a very similar project but found this lil gem.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Orbit-B-h...7950/206638406

12 relay outputs, outdoor rated enclosure, wifi enabled, automated program schedule with phone based app control. Just gotta get the data cable for my superflo pump and I can have more control of my pool than any sane person ever needed haha.
    Chuck-
    15x30 AG, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is AD Free and is funded solely by member support click here to help

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Who woulda thought, sprinkler controllers?! Only thing is finding the relays. Name brand ones are a little spendy, like $30 or so. However, plane old electronic relays that accept low voltage and control line voltage are cheap and easy to find.

7. Back To Top    #7

Chuck-

8. Back To Top    #8

For those of us with a superflo pump the control inputs can be wired right to the 24vac relay outputs on the timer board. The superflo pump will accept 5-30V ac/dc inputs for the speed signals. Just wish that darn comm cable for the pump was cheaper, and of course Pentair claims they used a non-standard plug end connector for it.

I'm hoping by the time I'm done I will be able to tinker together a system to remotely operate all of my equipment including a solar controller with automated valve for under 300.
    Chuck-

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    Thanks for the links. Didnt know sprinkler boxes sent out an AC signal, thought it was DC.

10. Back To Top    #10

You can add an Intellicomm II to an intelliflo and it will accept 24vdc inputs same as the Superflo.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

I don't need or want all the smartphone connectivity so I use an old Rainbird sprinkler timer to actuate my Jandy valves and my CL pump. I got it at a garage sale for a few dollars. Works exactly that way I want and still has three zones open for future projects. The 24VAC transformer on the sprinkler timer directly powers the Jandy actuators so no relays needed. I use a tiny power converter inside the timer box to run the 12VDC peristaltic pump so again, no relay needed. My VSP program handles all the pump on/off/RPM commands. Very few parts and points of failure for low maintenance in the future.

Dave in Phoenix, AZ, USA
    12,000 gallon IG (5' max depth) , Pebble-tec,
    Hayward SP2303 Maxflo 1.65 HP, Triton TR60 sand filter, 1 skimmer, Pool Devil skimmer, 3 returns, 1 aerator port, Navigator suction-side sweep, Hayward valve actuator, Rainbird sprinkler timer used for valve automation and chlorine injection. Softened water used for makeup.

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

I like the idea of using a basic sprinkler controller to run pumps, lighting, etc... Is there a way to use them with temp probes to do things like control the heater, switch a solar valve if the temp at the solar panels is at a certain point, etc...?
    16x32 Concrete IG 24k Gallons
    Equipment: Carvin 525sf Cartridge Filter, Jandy Gas Heater, Vortex Solar Panels w/solar valve, 1hp Hayward Pump with 3/4 HP AO Smith 2 Speed Replacement Motor, Aquarite Saltwater Cell, Polaris 280 Dolphin Active 20 Robot
    Automation: Hayward Prologic Controller

13. Back To Top    #13

I'm using this to control the solar valve to open and close when the solar valve when the panels are warm. Its very basic but I don't need a lot of the capabilities of off the shelf solar controllers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Chuck-