Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hydrostatic Main Drain Valve

1. Back To Top    #1

Hydrostatic Main Drain Valve

Here's a question for you scholars. Pool Water has been dropping at a fast rate. Did the bucket test, and the pool lost 1/2 inch of water from the bucket and over 11/2 inches from the pool in 24 hours. I've dye checked everything but the main drain and can see no signs of a leak. There are no leaks with anything on the equipment pad. I've done a lot of reading and have my suspicions its in the main drain area. I haven't dived down yet to remove the cover and check things out since the water is only 72 degrees. My question is, can a bad hydrostatic valve leak water out but yet let air in. The reason I ask is that when I turn my jandy valve on to just main drain suction I get a lot of air in my pump basket, but when on just skimmer suction the pump basket is clear. Anyone have any ideas??
    I live in Arlington TX. It is a in ground plaster pool approx 25,000 gallons. It has a Nautilus NS DE filter with a 1 1/2 hp starite pump. It has a pool cleaner brand suction style pool cleaner. TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hydrostatic Main Drain Valve

I had some clogging in my main drain (pine cones) that caused the same symptom when
    I filtered or drained with main drain only. So possibly?
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Hydrostatic Main Drain Valve

Sounds like a suction leak on the main drain line that sucks air when the pump is on and leaks water when the pump is off. I doubt you have a hydrostatic valve, I've never seen one installed in DFW.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach