Propane Heater Advice

Aug 13, 2016
Ellicott City, MD
We are in the country so no gas and electric would be too $$ to bring out to the pool. So we are going with propane. We have a 33K gallon pool and have been advised that a 400,000 BTU is what we need. We are looking at the Hayward H400FDP and have someone who will install it for $250 (plus the propane people). The pool store quoted $3400 installed, so $1200 more than if we buy on our own and our guy (does side jobs) installs.

Can someone confirm that this is the right heater for us? We are in Maryland and last year (our first year in the house) I didn't want to get in until mid-late July. We don't need it 90 degrees, but mid 70s is perfect. Also few questions:

• should we use a blanket on it at night and if so, any tips on how to best deal with these? Reel? Fold it up?
  • Is there an efficiency calculator so I can figure the price of propane to run it?

Many thanks!

If you think electric is expensive wait till you get your first propane bill.....

Heat pumps are way more efficient than you might be lead to believe and they work. I would really consider solar panels over propane if you have the sun and space for them.

If you are heating with any type of heater a solar cover is a must when you aren't in the pool. The convective and evaporative heat losses only get higher once you add heat above ambient temp. It's not until heard of for a heated pool to lose 10 degrees or more overnight if it's not covered. That same pool cover will lose only 2-4 degrees.

You would be better served buying a Raypak. As for the propane cost, well it all depends on how much you plan to sue and when. Just remember, if you buy it on your own and install it, they most likely won't honor their warranty.

"and have someone who will install it for $250" Are they properly licensed? I find people that do that so cheaply aren't licensed.

You would be better served buying a Raypak. As for the propane cost, well it all depends on how much you plan to sue and when. Just remember, if you buy it on your own and install it, they most likely won't honor their warranty.

"and have someone who will install it for $250" Are they properly licensed? I find people that do that so cheaply aren't licensed.

Thanks for the Raypak tip. The $250 was from a guy who works for a big pool company and also works on the side and will do the the plumbing part. The propane tank is being properly permitted and installed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.